The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how long can i save reused yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
nabeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long can i save reused yeast

I am planing to reuse the same yeast from my brew fermenting now in about a week or so , but wasn't planing to make a new batch for about 2 weeks. How long can I save the old yeast in my fridge for.

Thanks Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/test...bility-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2936 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

I fill 2 nalgene-type bottles with trub every time I empty a keg (they are about 8 ounces). If I use within about 2 months, I just pitch them into the new beer - no starter.

Older than that, I will do a 3L starter to get the yeast active again. It's my rule-of-thumb.

BTW, I reuse saved S-04 and S-05. I know they are cheap, but I'm the product of Dutch ancestors, set in my niggardly ways.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
nabeast
Recipes 

Do you know how many starters I can make from one batch of old yeast?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2936 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeast View Post
There's about 2 quarts of trub down there, maybe more. I use about a cup of that trub to innoculate a new 5g carboy, so my answer is.... [drumroll sounds from apron right of stage... ]

Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

I just looked in my fridge. I have some nice looking yeast labeled "pacman October 2009". I probably won't use it, because I'm not entirely sure that it's perfectly fine. But anything less than 6 months that looks and smells good is fair game!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeast View Post
Not sure what you are asking here?

Are you talking about how many generations you could re-use this old yeast or are you asking how many times you could split the old batch of yeast?

I would not reuse more than 5 generations myself.

If you are talking about splitting it and build it up in starters then the sky is the limit.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
907brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I just looked in my fridge. I have some nice looking yeast labeled "pacman October 2009". I probably won't use it, because I'm not entirely sure that it's perfectly fine. But anything less than 6 months that looks and smells good is fair game!
In this case I wouldn't throw it out, try a starter with it. It may take a little longer to kick off, but if it goes then you have good yeast! Worth a try. I get all my yeast from my local brewery's, it's always fresh and active and free!

Quick Reply