How long before dry hoping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 days to 2 weeks before bottling. My beers can go 4 weeks or 10 weeks depending on the beer, and availability of bottles.

I usually dryhop for 5-7 days, and you want to do it immediately before packaging- so I dryhop about a week before bottling or kegging. I've gone as short as 3 days with dryhopping, and that works well too, but usually it's more like 7 days due to my schedule.

Personal opinion is that you dry hop starting when the yeast is done and has dropped. Your beer will be clear or starting to clear before you add hops. I didn't wait long enough and the pellet hops remained suspended in the beer so when I went to bottle they clogged up the bottling wand.

On the plus side, two days after bottling the beer was super clear (yes I used a few clear bottles to see what was happening but they are covered in opaque material).

I think it's best to dry hop after the majority of the yeast has flocculated and your beer looks pretty clear. I've had my best results doing it this way. I usually dry hop for about a week right before packaging.

Back