New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to kill yeasties to death !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
joeybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default How to kill yeasties to death !

First off, I posted here because it is a beer or cider question, but in this case about cider...

A friend of mine made a batch of cider that is WAY to strong and hasn't carbed up after 3 months in a bottle, and he figures the yeast is dead.. The plan of action is to backsweeten it with fresh juice, and pour it into a keg to carb it.

Do I need to do anything to make sure that the yeasties are dead (boil it ?) I don't have any campden or pot.sorbate on hand . Or should I just sanitize the keg and let it ride ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
dvdanny
Recipes 

Pasturize the bottles, there is a tutorial on this board somewhere. I think it's like 1-2 hours at 160 degrees F in a water bath.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Berock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your keg is going to be refrigerated for serving after you put the Cider in it then you don't need to pasterize it. If you plan on bottling later then do what poster above said.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
dvdanny
Recipes 

You should also back sweeten with frozen concentrate instead of juice, less will go further.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 01-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
joeybeer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

We ended up just sanitizing the keg and dumping the cider in, and enough fresh cider to bring the ABV down to around 5%.. After some force carbing and lots of shaking, it tastes pretty good !! I've always wanted to try backsweetening, and accidentally got the chance

I'll keep it cold and drink it fast ~

Quick Reply