Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How I print beer lables for cheap. small runs and long runs, waterproof-ish.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #51
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 669 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperMan View Post
Soak and peel in plain water - doesn't even need to be warm. In fact I can't really put them on ice because the labels usually fall off in the cooler. They leave a very thin texture on the bottle - don't know that I can call it "residue", though that's probably what it is... What I typically do is take a few paper towels, spray them with Windex, and just wipe each bottle down real quick - goes away completely then. (I don't label EVERY beer I make, so it's not like every bottle requires this kind of maintenance.)
Interesting. I've been a little "gun-shy" about trying the self-adhesive labels since I tried one from Staples that left sticky gum residue on the bottles that had to be scraped off with a razor blade.

I'm not a fan of the idea of Windex around my beer bottles, but maybe a hot PBW soak would accomplish the same thing. I might give these labels a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #52
ViperMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I dunno what PBW is (keep seeing it, but dunno what it is.)

I don't spray the bottles, I just spritz a paper towel, and it's only 'cause I'm a stickler for bottles with water residue and such on them. I usually clean the bottles before applying labels to make sure they stick nicely, and to make them really look nice.

The bottles that make it home aren't sticky when I soak the labels off - you can only tell that they had a label if they're wet: the water beads up differently and sorta "sticks" to the bottle where the label was. I've been putting labels on bottles now for 3 years. I still have most of my original bottles and couldn't tell you which ones were labeled in the past. The ones that didn't come home were sold to my car club - they were considered collectors items.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #53
Lagunitas
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

man that template is sweet. good job guys

Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #54
Hulud
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey brianmot,

How do you set those hash marks to lock the image to? I want to make some different sized labels. Specially ones for bombers and some for wine bottles

Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #55
brianmot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hulud,

Since photoshop isnt specifically set up for label making and is more of a photo editing software, it is bit more complicated than that. I just bottled some pinot noir and plan on making labels soon. Ill be sure to post the template when I do that.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #56
Hulud
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmot
Hulud,

Since photoshop isnt specifically set up for label making and is more of a photo editing software, it is bit more complicated than that. I just bottled some pinot noir and plan on making labels soon. Ill be sure to post the template when I do that.
Yea that's what I was afraid of. As soon as you do it I would love to get the template from ya. I am making yoopers table wine with my wife and some Australian Chardonnay with my mother. And I'll see how the size looks for bombers

Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #57
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Sweet work. Have you ever tried wax paper to see if it would leave the adhesive intact on the labels? That way you could spray an entire sheet add the "backing" and then just get a paper cuter to cut them out.

Hmm. Good tips though. I'm laying the ground work for a board game, you just gave me some ideas to go about some of the elements I need for it. My wallet thanks you.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #58
keatz85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks, thanks, and thank you! This is genius.

I got them printed at staples on glossy paper for around $6 or 7 and they even cut every single one out for me for $1 more. If you have them cut before you have to be careful when spraying the clear coat because they will blow around a bit but to me it was better than cutting them all out.

I noticed if they accidentally touch anything soon after you spray the clear coat the ink will run, so be careful. They were easy and quick to put on and even a bit fun. Held up in water nicely, heck the dishwasher didn't even take the labels all the way off so I would say they're pretty durable. Thanks again!!!

Last edited by keatz85; 08-19-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: type-os
downhomebrews Likes This 
Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #59
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 716 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but does anyone have Brian's template file? The dropbox link doesn't work anymore and I'd love to have the template. PM me if you have a copy. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #60
sputnam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 55

those labels are truly awesome. if i ever bottle again i will come back to this thread. good job!

Any JackAss can find a good beer but it takes a special kind of JackAss to make one!

Quick Reply