Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > HOW the hell did I get here!?....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
itzkramer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default HOW the hell did I get here!?....

I started looking into brewing beer because I thought I would save some money and always have beer available without going to the corner store. I did a lot of research and decided to skip the Mr. Beer kit and go for a "real" kit from Midwest. I figured if I'm gonna spend the money, I might as well do it right the first time(everything plus a carboy kit).

1 year later....

even though i'm at least $1000 into brewing equipment, I still havn't gotten to where I want to be with my brew or gear. Theres always room for somthing else. I just bought the stuff for the "ebay aquarium temp controller build" and a second fermentor today. On TOP of all that, now im a beer snob. A night out at the bar is at least twice as expensive, and god help me if its a small town bar with no taps and BMC only(its happened, it was horrible).

Now, Im not saying I hate my new brew-centered life, its great. I just never imagined being sucked so far into what started as a money saver, that turned into a full time wallet buster.

....time to go pull another pint off the keggerator... at the brand new handmade bar in the basement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always tell new brewers...if you're worried about the money, don't drink. If you want to drink good beer...get out your wallet. Just wait until you decide to drop a few grand on a brew rig...

I can't say I've become a beer snob though. I love and appreciate good beer, but I'll drink a keystone at a friends house anyday. Sometimes I just don't want a heavy expensive beer. I want something I can put down on a hot day and not worry about getting drunk.

For all of the brewers that say they hate BMC...I challenge them to make an American Light Lager with the consistancy and quality that the big guys do. It can't be done. They know how to brew, they just brew for the masses. While I don't like their business practices, I think they make an excellent example of the style.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer View Post
I started looking into brewing beer because I thought I would save some money and always have beer available without going to the corner store. I did a lot of research and decided to skip the Mr. Beer kit and go for a "real" kit from Midwest. I figured if I'm gonna spend the money, I might as well do it right the first time(everything plus a carboy kit).

1 year later....

even though i'm at least $1000 into brewing equipment, I still havn't gotten to where I want to be with my brew or gear. Theres always room for somthing else. I just bought the stuff for the "ebay aquarium temp controller build" and a second fermentor today. On TOP of all that, now im a beer snob. A night out at the bar is at least twice as expensive, and god help me if its a small town bar with no taps and BMC only(its happened, it was horrible).

Now, Im not saying I hate my new brew-centered life, its great. I just never imagined being sucked so far into what started as a money saver, that turned into a full time wallet buster.

....time to go pull another pint off the keggerator... at the brand new handmade bar in the basement.
*****Giggle***** we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
itzkramer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts

I'll agree with you on that one, BMC makes a great product for the style. I'll still drink a BMC if i have too(i prefer miller light), but it just tastes like carbonated water to me now. I like beer with some nice body and real taste to it(malty or hoppy, either is good).

Im glad I spent the money, too. Any day I can buy some grain, hops, and yeast, and turn it into somthing that gets me drunk is a good one .

I sure do love me some beer!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
hypergolic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree, on a 90 degree day at the beach I can put down Bud Light like it is going out of style. There is a time and place for everything.

I can also agree with being totally engrossed with this hobby after receiving a starter kit for Christmas :/

Reason: not making sense

Old 05-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
*****Giggle***** we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!
WELL SAID!
I have to ask SWMBO for my 'allowance' to go get grain. Lord I wish she would take up drinking beer!
"How the hell did I get here?"
You know, this is a question I've asked often enough. Usually at the very beginning of tapping a new keg in the evening, with a couple of friends (in the event no friends are present, my Boston Terriers will do -they aren't much for drinking, but they DO love to lay by your feet and listen to you prattle on) -either way, I'm not drinking alone, so I'm not an alcoholic -right?
Anyway, I THINK I usually manage to come up with the answer to the ultimate question (and no, its not 42) but I can never remember the answer the next day.
Well, tomorrow I'll be working on kicking the last keg of Ellies Clone, while I smoke a pork shoulder for 12 hrs.... I'll see if I can come up with an answer

At work, from time to time, one of my fellow RNs (registered nurse) will make the comment that they are interested in saving money by doing it themselves -I just tell them to forget the idea, spend less on cheaper beer if you want to save money -but come talk to me when you want to brew because its what you actually WANT to do. I quit counting how much my brewery has absorbed from the wallet -its not important. GOOD BEER is important.

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used to be a beer geek, did a year long internship in a craft beer bar in New York in 2008, spent loads of time researching the beers, tasting new ones as they came onto the taps, chatting to brewers / reps you name it.

But I can safely say I knew relatively little about beer until I started brewing it myself last year. It's been a big leap and also rekindled the scientific part of my mind which had been dormant for a few years thanks to my career path.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I at least felt like I knew what I was getting into when I finally took the plunge, though I'm still surprised at just how tempting new toys are!

I brewed with a buddy for almost a year before doing my own, and watched him pick up some nice brew-bling along the way. Now, whenever I'm tempted to splurge on something, I think: I'll just borrow it for now... And usually, the temptation dies down shortly thereafter, though I think I've yet to actually go through with borrowing any gear.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
npauley88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer View Post

1 year later....

Are you an official SNOB? That is, are you part of the Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers yet? If not, you should really look into joining, there are a ton of knowledgeable members that you are guaranteed to learn something from every meeting!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4616 Times on 3352 Posts
Likes Given: 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauley88 View Post
Are you an official SNOB? That is, are you part of the Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers yet? If not, you should really look into joining, there are a ton of knowledgeable members that you are guaranteed to learn something from every meeting!
I'd LOVE to come to a SNOB meeting when I'm in the area, but I never know when/where. Can you send me a link to some meeting times? Thanks!

I started with the Beer Machine 2000, and now I have an all-electric HERMS indoor system. I'm still working on upgrades as I need to, so I don't expect I'll ever be "done". I was a person who wanted to make good beer cheap in the beginning. Now I just settle for great beer.

Quick Reply