Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How hard is it to make bad beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think what homebrewers say about there beer is mostly subjective and almost entirely dependent on their beer experience before they started home brewing. So no, you may not be on a pedestal, but then again, I have a very hard time believing that all your beers are good, great, or fantastic. Unless you have found the secret to recipe calculation that yields great beers on the first try every time, I would guess that most of your beers are average, and you have brewed 1 or 2 really good batches. If you have somehow managed to brew a great beer every time you set up shop, you should consider going pro because there are only a handful of people in the world who are able to do so. Not to be a downer, but some n00b might be reading this and thinking he will start brewing something incredible that will be better than anybeer he has had so far. It just isn't that likely, unless you haven't drank a wide variety of beers so your expectations start low.

See this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/my-f...results-77632/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's simple to make bad beer, beware, your time may be coming. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/time...ic-fail-77856/

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Please don't tell me you are teabagging your beer, Revvy!

No, but SOMEBODY one here "dry humps" their carboys on regular occasions. (I wish I could remeber who made the thread with that title.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
If you have somehow managed to brew a great beer every time you set up shop, you should consider going pro because there are only a handful of people in the world who are able to do so.
I am not sure I agree. There are loads of successful brewpubs and many micros that I feel make very mediocre beer. That all being said, I agree with the general sentiment that most guys are brewing good beer for the most part, and only a few make stellar beer for the most part on occasion. I liken it to eating at Joe's vs. eating at I dunno Le Bernardin or something. Sure Joe's might have really good food that satisfies. But if you want a work of artistic creation, it takes a little more.

'Brewing to Style' is the safest bet. It's when you go off the beaten path and really stretch your wings that you find what you're made of. That's why I always recommend that new brewers first learn the basics and brew a well known style of their own interpretation.

AG is much harder as there is a lot more that can mess you up, but then again with extract you'll never get the full flavor and body of AG.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

I like how sometimes are worst mistake or situation, sometimes ends up producing the best beer. A guy on another thread mentioned he racked from under some mold, and didn't have much hope for the beer. And it turned out to be one of his best tasting batches ever.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #16
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Honestly I have to say that if you are the only one who is drinking it then hopefully you are brewing to your flavor style which you enjoy. I have been to a ton of brewpubs that have very mediocre beer, as well as big companies. BUT, they are selling beer because someone apparently enjoys it.

My first batch (which I am still drinking) I have come accustomed to, however my girlfriend still avoids it like the plague. Are my tastebuds fooling me like a mother for her kids painting (it is the best in the group), or is my girlfriend just crazy. Granted the first beer we tried was about four days into carbing and she still has that taste in her mouth so...

When I got into this I thought that I would have to sacrifice a goat and pray to the gods in order to have a beer come out right. Turns out that when you do stick an unsanitized body part in, all still turns out well!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ck37p1mp View Post
Define bad. I made a light ale for the wussy drinkers and found it to be like water, no flavor, no nothing, little abv.
My worst beers are the ones I make to suit someone else's palate.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #18
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I like how sometimes are worst mistake or situation, sometimes ends up producing the best beer. A guy on another thread mentioned he racked from under some mold, and didn't have much hope for the beer. And it turned out to be one of his best tasting batches ever.

I understand that one. My Drunk Owl Mango started off as a Duvel clone and due to carbonation issues I ended up carefully opening each bottle and emptying into a bucket with mangos and the dregs from some Orval bottles. One year latter it was incredible.

back to the OP
It is easy to make good beer, a little more difficult to make great repeatable beers and extremely easy to make bad beer.
Try making a small batch and don't clean anything well, pet your dog while he's standing right next to your open fermenter or leave some old fruit near your fermenters to attract fruit flies.
I think you get what I'm saying
If you are lax on sanitation bad beers are very easy to make

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Way back when, when I brewed my first batch of extract beer I was impressed. Why? Because it was beer. Very drinkable, too, if I might add.

Since then, I have had good batches, and not so good ones. Only one dumper. (For some reason it just didn't fully ferment and it went bad).

In general, though, I think that most of us find that if you practice good sanitation habits and can follow simple directions, you will normally end up with pretty darn good brews.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
I understand that one. My Drunk Owl Mango started off as a Duvel clone and due to carbonation issues I ended up carefully opening each bottle and emptying into a bucket with mangos and the dregs from some Orval bottles. One year latter it was incredible.
That sounds amazing!!!!!!!

Quick Reply