Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to get Pliny the Elder over here...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
Heckle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

@BrianTheBrewer - I am in CT about 90 minutes from you. I have never had one of these myself. But, if you want to send me an e-mail, maybe we can make some arrangements to get some shipped from Cali over to the East Coast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The closest distributor to us is in Philly .Someone found it on tap just outside of Quakertown PA . I am going to be there in August I am hoping they have it in bottles so I can bring some home.
No bottles of Pliny shipped to PA by RR. Many of the others, yes.

If you're going to be 'round this area on the 28th I believe Younger and Elder are going to be making an appearance.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #13
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
http://sites.google.com/site/southba.../Home/shipping

Well, they don't ship to MA, but they ship close. Know anyone in Connecticut? Joey ships well and is a great guy.

Damn, they don't ship to Texas either. Is there anyone who ships to Texas with West Coast Only beers?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #14
NorCalHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTheBrewer View Post
So I posted this on another thread but I am wondering about Pliny the Elder. I have been to Cali now many times and I always make it a point to have a few Pliny the Elder's. I love the stuff. Thing is many people here on the east coast cant get it. I have a good friend that would love a 12 pack or case of it.

So I would either be able to set up a beer swap (meaning I can send you anything from over here on the east coast, like great stuff you have never heard of). I could also just pay for the cost of the beer and shipping.

If anyone out there in Cali can help me out would be great.

Thank you
Brian, I have a 22 oz bottle of the ELder in my fridge right now.. I dont like the stuff so I wont drink it. They sell it at a bunch of supermarkets where I live (santa rosa- home of the russian river brew co). Send me a PM and we can work something out.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Old thread I know.

If anyone wants to trade some yeast samples for evaluation, I really want to evaluate some Pliney the Elder. I plan on brewing it but the real thing would be a good inspiration.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I talked with a guy from a local craft beer and wine store and he said that in order for them to stock bottles they have to first earn a reputation with the distributor by ordering kegs etc. There was some other stuff involved with it as well. It sounded like an annoying process just to get some beer...

Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know what you mean. I was just in PA and couldn't find Pliney anywhere. I did find 1 bar that had an untapped keg. I practically begged the owner to tap it and fill up a few growlers. He said he was holding on to it for a special tapping event. He too said that Pliney was rationed accordingly to how much of their Belgian beers you sold. Also that he never gets it in bottles.

It was in Quakertown, PA if anyone is near there.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRainH2o View Post
I know what you mean. I was just in PA and couldn't find Pliney anywhere. I did find 1 bar that had an untapped keg. I practically begged the owner to tap it and fill up a few growlers. He said he was holding on to it for a special tapping event. He too said that Pliney was rationed accordingly to how much of their Belgian beers you sold. Also that he never gets it in bottles.

It was in Quakertown, PA if anyone is near there.
15 -20 minutes west of Qtown, Ortino's Northside has it on tap right now.

Pope in Philadelphia too.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bring back bottles every time I go home to visit family. This last time I was amazed at what they were charging per bottle. I think I paid $7 a bottle at Hi-Times. BevMo had it in stock the previous visit for under $5 but it was near impossible to find this last time. I took Hi-Times' last two bottles....

Old 08-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
MW66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I tried PLE last month after one of my engineers took a business trip to Petaluma. He went to RR and brought back a bottle for me. It definitely feels like sticking a fistfull of hops right into your mouth. For me......and I love hops.....it felt like it was "work" drinking this beer. I think it was the combination of high alcohol and high hop content. Not sure, because I tried Avery Dungana while I was in Baltimore and I loved it. I appreciate PLE for what it is, but it wasn't for me.

Quick Reply