New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to get IPA ready for homebrew competition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Threetall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to get IPA ready for homebrew competition?

So I am participating in a local homebrew competition where everyone had to brew an IPA today on 4/20/13. They are going to have a tasting event where judges will try the beers and the winner will be decided. They have decided that the beers will be judged on 5/23/13, so really not much time. In fact, I think it's ridiculous.

I brewed an IPA with an OG of 1.066. With dryhopping and bottling, I don't know how I can get it ready by may 23rd. Maybe 10-14 days of primary fermentation, then dryhopping for 7-10, then bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
stmou984
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetall
So I am participating in a local homebrew competition where everyone had to brew an IPA today on 4/20/13. They are going to have a tasting event where judges will try the beers and the winner will be decided. They have decided that the beers will be judged on 5/23/13, so really not much time. In fact, I think it's ridiculous.

I brewed an IPA with an OG of 1.066. With dryhopping and bottling, I don't know how I can get it ready by may 23rd. Maybe 10-14 days of primary fermentation, then dryhopping for 7-10, then bottling?
I would keep an eye on the airlock. As soon as its done take a gravity reading. If its good get it into secondary for dry hopping. I just did a chinook ipa but there's no way it's done at 10 days. I hope yours moves quickly. What yeast did you use?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

With our system and our house IPA (Double Jack clone)... 4-5 days fermentation, 4-6 days dryhopping... then 10-16 days to bottle carb(if not bottling from the keg)... And that is with an OG of 1.085.... Good luck, my sense is that you have plenty of time.

FWIW... my wife insists that the best IPA we ever made was in a rush and ready to drink from a bottle in 3 weeks from brew day...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk View Post
our house IPA (Double Jack clone)...
Your house IPA is a Double IPA? I like how you think, sir!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think it'll be fine. I'm drinking an IPA right now that I brewed March 23rd, added dry hops to primary Apr 1st, cold crashed the 5th and bottled the 6th. It's very fresh and the flavors and aromas that were pretty pungent and unbalanced have settled and melded nicely and the carbonation is great. I started drinking it as soon as Apr 12th but it's better today (Apr 20). So that pretty much fits the same schedule you're working with.

Bottles: Weedwhacker Wheat, SimCity IPA, MO/Cascade SMaSH
Primary: Sasquatch Imperial Stout, Bee Cave Kolsch
Next to brew: Some sort of enamel-melting IPA and a nut brown

Old 04-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can dryhop in the primary to shave some days off.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Threetall
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. I'll see how this turns out.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3864 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetall View Post

Well, I do about 7-10 days of primary, dryhop 5 days, and then package. A well made beer will certainly be done with primary by day 5, and then has 5 days to clear up. I add the dryhops and then leave them for 5 days, and then package.

My IPAs are quite good. Nothing "ridiculous" about drinking a 4+ week old IPA. I am usually drinking mine by about day 15-20, although it's carbed up because I keg. Still, it won't take more than 10-14 days for a bottle to carb up, so I think a month+ is plenty of time.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Friend of mine who won NHC gold for his IPA a few years back dryhops all his "serious" IPAs in the keg.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply