The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to "fix" this "bad" beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Jazman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to "fix" this "bad" beer

Ok, here's the deal. I've got 10gal of Bee Cave Octoberfest-style Ale that I brewed in late summer. I dropped the OG by a bit and started just under 1.070. The current state is kegged and carb'd.

Here's how I screwed this up. In hindsight, I realize that I not only severely under-pitched the yeast, but the culture was not as healthy as it should have been. I also had some issues during the mash where the mash temp was a little high for 10 mins or so. So, there may be tough-to-ferment sugars in there. This beer finished pretty high and is very "sweet". I don't detect anything else that is "off". But, basically, it's not really good due to the sweetness.

So, is there anything I can do to help this beer? I no longer care whether it's to style, I'm just trying to prevent it going to waste if I can. Here's the options I see but please feel free to make other suggestions.

1. Nothing you can do... just pitch it.
2. Dilute it with another beer. I've tried diluting it with a basic beer like a cream-ale. It took 33%-50% dilution to help. But, it was actually pretty darn good and could still be considered an Octoberfest-style. The real problem is that I really don't have much available and probably won't be brewing again until March/April. So, while possible, not easy for me to accomplish. I also worry whether I'd be throwing good beer after bad.
3. "Hop-it-up" - Is there a suggestion here using dry-hop or hopback that might work? Again, not to style but I really don't care about that. I've never done much with late hopping, so if this is your suggestion, please be specific if you can.

Thanks!
Jaz

Silverball Brewing presents:
Drinking bottled/kegged: Tart of Darkness clone, Citra IPA, Black RyePA
Aging: Tart of Darkness
Secondary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
On Deck: ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 971 Times on 794 Posts

Assuming there's still viable yeast looking for something to digest, warm it back up and add some amylase enzyme to the beer...

Cheers!

Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd vote for dry-hopping it. That may decrease the perceived sweetness. If that fails, make a lot of fish and chips or chili.

Quick Reply