Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to explain belgians to a BMC drinker...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2798 Times on 2745 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Wiki describes Belgians as "people originating from the Kingdom of Belgium and its historical predecessor states who share a common Belgian culture and Belgian descent. Belgian is not considered an ethnic group as Belgium is made up of two main linguistic and ethnic groups, the Dutch-speaking Flemish and the French-speaking Walloons.

Most Belgians tend to view their culture as an integral part of European culture or Western culture; nevertheless, both main communities tend to make their thousands of individual and collective cultural choices mainly from within their own community."

Definitely offer up a taste. Only way to describe a belgian.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
Erythro73
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How do you describe not being flavorless?

I like to bring to their attention the caramel-taste. I do think this is prominent in most trappist beers (not Orval, but Orval is different) : Rochefort, La Trappe, etc. Caramel is something everyone love, so they are more willing to taste.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
soldstatic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Wiki describes Belgians as "people originating from the Kingdom of Belgium and its historical predecessor states who share a common Belgian culture and Belgian descent. Belgian is not considered an ethnic group as Belgium is made up of two main linguistic and ethnic groups, the Dutch-speaking Flemish and the French-speaking Walloons.

Most Belgians tend to view their culture as an integral part of European culture or Western culture; nevertheless, both main communities tend to make their thousands of individual and collective cultural choices mainly from within their own community."

Definitely offer up a taste. Only way to describe a belgian.
Hahaha that's pretty funny.

I've described french belgians as wanna be frenchies that are twice as self absorbed and snobby about their culture than the french are about theirs. And flemish belgians as less rambunctious germans. Course that may just fit the people i met when I was over there and certainly doesn't apply to everyone. But se la vie.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i love many styles of beers, but belgians i just cannot do. I dont know what about it i dislike so much, but they are not for me

Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erythro73 View Post
How do you describe not being flavorless?

I like to bring to their attention the caramel-taste. I do think this is prominent in most trappist beers (not Orval, but Orval is different) : Rochefort, La Trappe, etc. Caramel is something everyone love, so they are more willing to taste.
IMO, the caramel note has nothing to do with whether a beer is Trappist or not. It's pretty common in Belgian strong darks, dubbels, and quads and pretty uncommon in Tripels, Belgian pales, witbiers, and most other Belgian styles, regardless of whether the brewery is Trappist or not. I wouldn't say that Westvleteren Blonde, Chimay Cinq Cents, Westmalle Extra, Orval, Achel Blonde, or La Trappe Witte have any predominant caramel notes.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
Erythro73
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
IMO, the caramel note has nothing to do with whether a beer is Trappist or not. It's pretty common in Belgian strong darks, dubbels, and quads and pretty uncommon in Tripels, Belgian pales, witbiers, and most other Belgian styles, regardless of whether the brewery is Trappist or not. I wouldn't say that Westvleteren Blonde, Chimay Cinq Cents, Westmalle Extra, Orval, Achel Blonde, or La Trappe Witte have any predominant caramel notes.
Yah, I'm sorry for the inaccuracies. Thanks for correcting me and I don't know why I wrote it like that. I guess I forgot many styles and had only belgian quadrupel/dubbel in mind.

But when I initiate newbies to these beers, I prefer to use trappist beers, in the lines of a quadrupel or a dubbel. Why? Well, they think a monk brewed the beer they are drinking (even though the majority of the 7 trappist breweries aren't operated by monks, nowadays), which add to the mysticism of the experience (which is a plus), and well, people always love caramel and these beers are full of caramel. The convert is easier this way, and it's by this way that I converted the father-in-law to the world of great beers! Everyone loves a good Rochefort 10!

I think Saisons or Tripels are more difficult to like, for BMC drinkers, than a belgian quad/dubbel. Easier converting. Because, well, the taste is caramel and very different.

And it's also this way a friend of mine introduced me to the world of craft beers. With a Rochefort 10.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just tell them it gets you F'd quickly. That's what they mostly care about. It's how I converted one of my good buddy from a BMC to an almost exclusive Tripel or IPA drinker.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #18
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Unless the person is versed in beers I don't try to explain it to them, because if they're past their early twenties and haven't discovered craft beers, 90% of the time they either don't care or they will unknowingly use a quote from the movie Idiocracy, like "Ah, you talk like a f**, and your s***'s all retarded."

I find it easier to break it down into terms people will understand like "Enjoy that p***y beer with that salad, and I'll have a man's beer." It doesn't matter if you're not really stuck up or crass, it's just easier for most people to understand.

If a person really wants to get involved in trying different beers, they will seek it out themselves. Just drink something interesting in front of them and wait for them to ask. Give them a brief background and if they don't walk away confused, you've probably struck a chord.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #19
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
Just tell them it gets you F'd quickly. That's what they mostly care about. It's how I converted one of my good buddy from a BMC to an almost exclusive Tripel or IPA drinker.
This. Most people drink just to get drunk.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
bradneal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
But it is nice to get a great bottle of something tastey and expensive...order your favorite pizza...and watching the boob tube
Ahhhhh, my very favorite beer on the planet!!

I just ordered a Carmelite Triple-Grain Tripel Partial Mash from Northern Brewer... Can't wait!

Quick Reply