New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to explain a bad metallic taste???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
drewski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to explain a bad metallic taste???

Upon racking a belgian amber ale I found it had an awful metallic taste. I'm sure there are several explanations for this, but I'd like to narrow it down and hopefully avoid this problem in the future. Here are the possibilities I've come up with:

1. I used 5.2 for the first time and possibly added too much (container kind of spewed some into my water when I first opened it)

2. I used a homemade copper wort chiller for the first time. I rinsed it thoroughly in 150 degree water before the first use, then put it in the wort as soon as I took the heat off the boil which should have killed anything else on it. Is it possible the copper could have been treated with something that would have come off into my wort during chilling?

3. I used Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey for the first time, is it possible that the yeast caused the taste?

4. Primary fermentation was only for one week, then moved to secondary and re-pitched for two more weeks. Is it possible that it wasn't given enough time in primary?

5. Finally is it possible the batch was contaminated? The gravity went from 1.046 to 1.011, so the yeast did work, but could still have gotten some bacteria in at some point.

Lastly, if it's not contaminated, is it possible that the metallic taste will condition out in the bottles?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I would say either #1 or #2, or possibly your water source.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Primevci
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you use a enamelware brew pot?

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Grinder12000

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What kind of water did you use. How about the actual recipe - did you use liquid extract? The taste might recede in time - mine did and turned out fantastic.

#1 no
#2 perhaps
#3 no
#4 probably not
#5 nope

Check out this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/metallic-taste-63393/

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

drewski Likes This 
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Steelers77
Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I know some of you are going to blast me when I say this but I think its the yeast! I get this same taste when I use Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey and White labs Trappist yeast strains.

I actually pointed it our to my wife the other day after tasting a Rye IPA I made with 1214 and it was there.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
drewski
Recipes 

I've been using the same water for all my batches, so unless something changed recently with the Minneapolis city water I doubt that's it.

Primevci, I did indeed use an old enamelware pot, a 33 gal that I've used for at least 3-4 other batches. It has a couple spots where the coating is rusting off the bottom, but I was assured by a much more experienced brewer friend that it shouldn't be an issue...I was hesitant to believe him, maybe for good reason.

It was a Midwest kit - the Flat Tire.

My biggest concern is that it was the chiller that did it, and I've since used it to chill two ciders that are currently fermenting. But I also used the enamelware pot to boil them, so that could be it also.

Either way, I think I'll try and sanitize the crap out of my chiller, and invest in a stainless brewpot.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Primevci
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski
I've been using the same water for all my batches, so unless something changed recently with the Minneapolis city water I doubt that's it.

Primevci, I did indeed use an old enamelware pot, a 33 gal that I've used for at least 3-4 other batches. It has a couple spots where the coating is rusting off the bottom, but I was assured by a much more experienced brewer friend that it shouldn't be an issue...I was hesitant to believe him, maybe for good reason.

It was a Midwest kit - the Flat Tire.

My biggest concern is that it was the chiller that did it, and I've since used it to chill two ciders that are currently fermenting. But I also used the enamelware pot to boil them, so that could be it also.

Either way, I think I'll try and sanitize the crap out of my chiller, and invest in a stainless brewpot.
Look over it real well if it chipped and you have exposed iron thats whats under the enamal it will give you a metallic taste...just reading over the rest of your post i think this your problem espcially if its showing rust.

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

deleted

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 89

No way it was a copper chiller. I use one, I also use copper in my tun. A lot of people use a copper chiller with no issues.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 10-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
ogdogg
Recipes 

I had something similar. And comparing with a friend who also had that problem, I've narrowed it down to sanitizer while bottling. We both used starsan, I carelessly used a vinitor, pumping it till it was almost filled & not letting it all drain out, therefore leaving some left in the bottle. My friend told me that he mixed the ratio wrong (adding too much sanitizer) in the bottling process.

Quick Reply