Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How exactly do Bud/Miller/Coors brew such consistent beers??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
mbitton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

quadmx08, do you happen to remember the name of the show on Netflix?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
grndslm
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Brewing is interesting, it's in someways free-form and organic, especially in homebrewing where most folks have really simple systems, but it's also about numbers....gravity, ibu's, pitch rate, temp, and those things can all be controlled with really sophisticated systems. It's two ends of the same spectrum. And commercial breweries, regardless of whether it's bmc or craft, are usually really sophisticated computer controlled endeavors.
Exactly. So what is it that separates BMC from the craft brewers?

It isn't rather fair to compare BMC to craft brewers, but I mean.... why is the consistency of BMC just so "unnatural"?? Dare I say... "supernatural"??

My friend spoke of a documentary where the Sam Adams owner said he admired Anheuser-Busch for its consistency. That's what inspired this thread. There must be something Anheuser-Busch knows that the craft brewers still haven't caught onto yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Bud has a master taster just for their shipments of rice. The train rolls in, he creates a sample of it and tastes it. If it differs from the accepted the WHOLE ENTIRE train cart of rice goes back. That is quality control
Is this for real?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
There must be something Anheuser-Busch knows that the craft brewers still haven't caught onto yet.

Is this for real?
I am not so sure it is what they know, but a result of the scale and mass amount of funds to afford the highest tech equipment and experts.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I don't know the extent that it affects consistency but the FDA allows breweries to add about 60 ingredients that don't have to be labelled on the bottle. These include clarifying agents (such as irish moss or gelatin) as well as various stabilizers and other chemicals. So the extent that the beer is uniform can be chemically produced in addition to filtering and pasteurizing.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
. And commercial breweries, regardless of whether it's bmc or craft, are usually really sophisticated computer controlled endeavors.
plus one

Everything that we do as home brewers is all automated at the big breweries, everything from water quality, amounts of grains, water content in the grains, different temps, different times of temps, amount of yeast, etc. etc. etc.. Things we never think about they monitor with computers.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

homebrewers tend to do everything they can to NOT get consistancy.

They jump from recipe to recipe, they try every new idea as it comes along, they constantly upgrade equipment. we lie to yourselve that every batch and fermentation is different, rather than work for consistency.
The longer a batch takes the less often they brew it and spend a lot of time focusing on the whole process instead of repeating each step. They also have horrible records.

how many have an awesome RIS or barleywine in the works?
how many have 4-5 batches of the same awesome RIS or barleywine in the works at week 1, week 3, month 1, month 2 , month 4?

even with simple beers consistency requires brewing the same recipe a lot, and that rarely gets done.

"I'm a new brewer what should my next brew be?"
two more of the last batch.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #17
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
"I'm a new brewer what should my next brew be?"
two more of the last batch.
Probably true, but that would be so boring and I don't like just drinking the same beer all the time. I am personally just not that worried about consistancy, but of course I am not trying to sell it and drink 95% of what I brew myself. I would fail at being a pro brewer, it sounds like it would get boring as hell.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Speaking from experience as a line mechanic for Pepsi I can tell you that to the trained tastebuds of a QC technician products do indeed taste different from batch to batch. There is a certain threshold that is acceptable and alot of the "tasting" is done electronically but no two batches or even cans/bottles are exactly alike. Same goes for BMC. I actually watched a documentery on Budweiser and they talked about some of their professional taste testers.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
Probably true, but that would be so boring and I don't like just drinking the same beer all the time. I am personally just not that worried about consistancy, but of course I am not trying to sell it and drink 95% of what I brew myself. I would fail at being a pro brewer, it sounds like it would get boring as hell.
heck yeah, its tedious and boring.
multiple types and styles on hand is great, but a few signature recipes that always come out the same is nice too

Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
twinturboa51
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

beechwood aging

Quick Reply