How to empty a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmaster911

Reaction score
I put an add on craigslist looking for kegs and got a response from a lady with a 15-20 year old keg of Miller. I would like to be able to show up at her place and just pick up an empty keg. What would be the easiest way to have her empty the keg?

Probably something you're going to have to take care of yourself. Bring friends to help pick it up if you're concerned... don't necessarily mention that the beer keg they're picking up is 15+ years old.

1. Set the keg on it's side
2. Position your body out of the way and depress the stainless ball in the valve to release any pressure inside (beer will come shooting out).
3. Once there is no more pressure being released, follow the standard steps to disassemble the valve/spear assembly in a sanke keg.
4. once the keg is open, turn it upside to pour out the nasty beer.

Why wouldn't you keep the keg upright, connect a tap (with a picnic tap or the liquid line blanked off), and pull the blow off valve to release the pressure before removing the spar? Seems like you'd get a whole lot less beer spraying out.

Dude, don't make the old lady depressurize the keg. Just go get it and take care of that part yourself. I imagine you're already getting a sweet deal on the $$.

Yes. Pull the blow off valve. It's hidden on the bottom. You have to pull really hard.

You'll be better off trying this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, don't make the old lady depressurize the keg. Just go get it and take care of that part yourself. I imagine you're already getting a sweet deal on the $$.

You may be right...I am just a little worried about hauling around a full keg in a work vehicle...and its heavy.

You may be right...I am just a little worried about hauling around a full keg in a work vehicle...and its heavy.

I'm a brewer, and a pretty tough little lady. But if I was selling an old keg on craigslist, the LAST thing I would do is depressurize and empty the keg for a young guy. The beer will stink, and spray all over everything, plus the keg is heavy! I'm sure she's selling it because she doesn't want to empty it and sell it for scrap, as she doesn't want to mess around with it.

The keg might weigh 80 pounds or so if it's half full. If you can carry a bag of dogfood, you can pick up the darn keg. If she doesn't care if you spray the beer onto her yard, depress the valve and spray it out before you lift it if it's too heavy for you.

...and its heavy.

Really? And you want the old lady to do it? If any guy can't lift a keg, you need to start working out. I don't workout, I'm not a big guy, and I can load 1/2bbls into vehicles no problem.

You couldn't go get it before or after work with your vehicle if you are worried about that? I think work would understand anyway. If they don't believe you, tell them to taste the 15-20yr old beer and tell you how it is.

Back