Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How dumb are your state/province's liquor laws?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
danielbt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbdChemist View Post
I'm use to the laws in Texas but need to change soon. Liquor stores are close Sundays and have to close at 9 during the week and 10 on Saturdays.
You're a little off on Texas laws. Liquor store close at 9, period, even on Saturday. No liquor sales on Sunday. Beer and wine can be sold until midnight on Sun-Fri, and till 1am on Sat night.

Quote:
No alcohol can be sold sunday morning before noon.
True.

Quote:
There is beer and wine at grocery stores but no liquor and the cap for grocery stores is 15.5% abv (includes wine) if higher has to be sold at liquor stores (though i've seen DFH 120 at grocery stores)
While it's true that there are no liquor sales allowed at a grocery store, I'm not sure where you got that ABV number. The reason you saw DFH 120 at a grocery store is because that's perfectly legal. The only ABV cap is on wine sales on Sundays, and that's 17%. Any other cap is from TABC's definition of "beer" and "wine", and that isn't specific to grocery stores.

Quote:
The stupidest law is that a commercial brewery can not sell beer on premise only in stores/bars. A brewpub can sell on premise but not in stores. So, very few places have growlers because you cant sell growlers if you sell liquor and you cant get it at a brewery. I hope that changes because i want to have a few pints at a brewery/source.
The easiest way to look at this is: if you manufacture beer, you can either distribute or you can serve. One or the other, not both.

And yes, it's extremely stupid. Also, asininely hypocritical, as it doesn't apply to wine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
SteveWPG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Manitoba is similar to Ontario. The MLCC is the only place you can buy spirits. Beer stores that sell cases of swill are allowed but only in hotels, and there are some wine stores, but anyone selling any alcoholic beverage sold in Manitoba has to go through the MLCC. Their markup on beer and wine is 75%. So if you are a microbrewery in Manitoba that sells beer right out of the brewery you are selling it to the MLCC and buying it back for 75% more before you can sell it

The hours aren't too bad, the Liquor store by my house is open until 10pm weekdays, 11pm Saturday.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

RTL you forgot the Zion curtian. Or did they finally get rid of that stupid law?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4440 Times on 2488 Posts
Likes Given: 14453

Oh, and I forgot to mention there is the "temporary" tax on alcohol known as the Johnstown Flood Tax. It started in 1936 as a 10% tax on all alcohol sold in PA (on top of sales tax) and has ballooned to 18% now. None of that tax revenue goes to assist anyone impacted by floods - it's just dumped into the general fund now (and they wonder why people near the border buy in Delaware or NJ?)

Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaumannerb View Post
In Pennsylvania things are pretty f'ed up as well. Liquor and wine is sold by the state (they have some stores inside grocery stores, but they are still operated by the PA LCB. On the plus side they've expanded the wine offerings, opened some stores on Sunday and gotten more competitive on pricing (mostly because it is just too easy to drive to Delaware or New Jersey in SE PA.) Home brewing is legal (thankfully) but beer sales are stuck in the past. You have to go to a beer distributor to get decent pricing - but you must by full cases and/or kegs. If you want a six pack or some 22oz bottles you have to go to a bar/restaurant that has a carry-out license. Prices are higher and you can buy no more 192 ounces at a time.

Luckily the licenses for brew pubs and breweries isn't that restricted and we have some decent ones in the area. Craft beer is at least easy to get in there!

YUP! My family is all from PA and I have to go to Philly area often for work....I hate not being able to just grab a six pack at the local gas station when I'm in PA!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
UtahNate
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL View Post
I live in Utah, and the Mormons... <snip>

Most of the liquor stores near my house close at 6PM and aren't open on sunday.

<snip>

Another thing they did was banned all of the fruity alcoholic drinks like the bacardi razz and mikes hard lemonade and stuff like that because they say it promotes underage drinking. Personally other than the fact that its an infringement on freedom, I'm not too broken hearted about that since that craps gross. My wife wasn't to happy about that one because she is demented and doesn't drink beer.

<snip>
Nor are they open on any State or Federal holiday. Fortunately the closest DABC store to me closes at 10 PM.

Just so you know, you can buy said "fruity" drinks at the DABC stores.

Just to add to RTL's list...

* Some cities here in Utah county allow beer sales on Sunday... Some don't...

* No underage drinking EVER. Period...

* All draft beer is 4% ABV or less. Usually watered down to meet said criteria, and yes... you can taste that it has been watered down. Learned that one the hard way when I first moved here.

* Zion curtain for all new bars or restaurants because alcohol out of sight is alcohol out of mind. Wouldn't want children and members of the area's predominant religion to be "offended" that there are people who may actually enjoy drinking. I've heard rumor of a "special" license (read $$$) that allows an establishment to forego said curtain. Not certain though...

* Bars and restaurants must use meters on their liquor bottles to make sure they do not pour more than 1.5 ounces at a time. Other liquors can be added to cocktails in lesser amounts, not to exceed 2.5 ounces of liquor in a drink, as long as they are poured from bottles clearly marked "flavoring."

I'm sure I've missed a few...

Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #27
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahNate

Nor are they open on any State or Federal holiday. Fortunately the closest DABC store to me closes at 10 PM.

Just so you know, you can buy said "fruity" drinks at the DABC stores.

Just to add to RTL's list...

* Some cities here in Utah county allow beer sales on Sunday... Some don't...

* No underage drinking EVER. Period...

* All draft beer is 4% ABV or less. Usually watered down to meet said criteria, and yes... you can taste that it has been watered down. Learned that one the hard way when I first moved here.

* Zion curtain for all new bars or restaurants because alcohol out of sight is alcohol out of mind. Wouldn't want children and members of the area's predominant religion to be "offended" that there are people who may actually enjoy drinking. I've heard rumor of a "special" license (read $$$) that allows an establishment to forego said curtain. Not certain though...

* Bars and restaurants must use meters on their liquor bottles to make sure they do not pour more than 1.5 ounces at a time. Other liquors can be added to cocktails in lesser amounts, not to exceed 2.5 ounces of liquor in a drink, as long as they are poured from bottles clearly marked "flavoring."

I'm sure I've missed a few...
I thought I was missing a few, there are probably more that both of us are forgetting. And they have the balls to call this a "free country," it's laughable.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #28
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Other than the taxes, NY's liquor laws are pretty damned lax. No open containers in public, but you can pretty much get alcohol around the clock and almost anywhere. There's a slight break on sunday morning, but that's it. Regular supermarkets can even sell some wines.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #29
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3163 Times on 1988 Posts
Likes Given: 5966

no off sale on Sundays. you can sit in a bar all day & get as hammered as you want, but don't taker any beer home to drink there.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Channel 5 news is reporting g I'm smacked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

In Louisiana where I grew up; You can buy Jack Daniels as you checkout at the grocery store since the liquor is right next to the chewing gum!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply