Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do you rate your homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
aliu630
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do you rate your homebrew?

Hey guys,

How do you guys judge if your homebrew turned out well? My friend and I recently got into homebrewing and we let our friends try some of it during our bbq. Everyone seemed to give positive feedback which was great. One of the batches I made was almost gone by the end of the night which was awesome It got me to wondering how I can critique my own beer to improve it even more. I wanted to know how you guys judge and rate your own beers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I am just my own worst critic. I have let it be in aide in palette development. I may not be able to tell if it's the end-all-be-all just yet, but I know when it's good and when it's not as good and when I should have dumped something

Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's tricky, and I think you need to be your own critic or have another home brewer sample your stuff, maybe get involved in the beerswap thing?

The trouble with trusting my friends to provide feedback is that they will drink anything that isn't nailed down, and doubly so if it is "free". Although there is definitely some satisfaction in seeing people work through a batch and at least give the outward appearance of enjoying it!

Just before xmas, I took the last few bottles of my second batch to a party, and when they were gone, we had to move on to Blue Moon. The Blue Moon was just too sweet for my taste and I stopped drinking, although I definitely would have drank a few more homebrews. I'm not saying my beer was "better", far from it, but I think it was just more suitable for that time and mood.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
shbrewer
Recipes 

Default Worst critic

I also am my worst critic. I did convert a Vodka only drinker with my spiced pumpkin ale and chocolate stout (not in the same glass, in the same sitting). Most of my other friends are bud light drinkers ONLY. How do I get involved with such short sighted people...
There have been many times I was very excited by a beer I brewed, and was disapointed in the results. I let my cousin try some of a cherry wheat that I brewed and he loved it...so I found that for the most part RDWHAHB.
Leo

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
aliu630
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I am just my own worst critic. I have let it be in aide in palette development. I may not be able to tell if it's the end-all-be-all just yet, but I know when it's good and when it's not as good and when I should have dumped something
I get biased towards my own homebrews and feel they are always at least decent because I made them myself . So everytime I drink one, there is that sentimental or whatever satisfication. I usually will drink and enjoy anything, so its hard for me to critique my own beer. I should be try to be more objective haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448
That's tricky, and I think you need to be your own critic or have another home brewer sample your stuff, maybe get involved in the beerswap thing?

The trouble with trusting my friends to provide feedback is that they will drink anything that isn't nailed down, and doubly so if it is "free". Although there is definitely some satisfaction in seeing people work through a batch and at least give the outward appearance of enjoying it!

Just before xmas, I took the last few bottles of my second batch to a party, and when they were gone, we had to move on to Blue Moon. The Blue Moon was just too sweet for my taste and I stopped drinking, although I definitely would have drank a few more homebrews. I'm not saying my beer was "better", far from it, but I think it was just more suitable for that time and mood.
I will look into this beerswap thing. My friends are the same. They'll drink anything. I gotta agree about the "time and mood" thing. When I used to drink BMC, I thought it didn't really matter. But after opening my eyes to all the other beers out there, I would prefer a certain beers on different occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbrewer
I also am my worst critic. I did convert a Vodka only drinker with my spiced pumpkin ale and chocolate stout (not in the same glass, in the same sitting). Most of my other friends are bud light drinkers ONLY. How do I get involved with such short sighted people...
There have been many times I was very excited by a beer I brewed, and was disapointed in the results. I let my cousin try some of a cherry wheat that I brewed and he loved it...so I found that for the most part RDWHAHB.
Leo
A lot of my friends are BMC drinkers too lol. Back in the day I would prefer a bud light over the other choices. Now I'm slowly trying to get my friends to try out different beers to help them see the light .

Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I guess I'm a beer whore-not picky at all.
I haven't bought commercial beer since I started kegging, but if I'm out, or at a friends house, I'll drink whatever they have.

I tend to brew the styles I like, but I also enjoy trying new recipies and styles.
I always appreciate positive feedback on my brews, but it is not to everyones taste.

I have an uncle that always tells me "Bud has nothing to worry about from your beer", which is fine with me-he always drinks Bud or Lite, so nothing that I make would be to his taste. I took some light honey lager to Thanksgiving dinner, and everyone really liked it (except my uncle).

My Dad also used to shy away from my beer when I bottled-it gave him gas. Since I've been kegging (about six months), he's been enjoying my brew without complaints of that side effect.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Like others, I am my own worst critic. I rarely (if ever) have a beer turn out EXACTLY as I want it, and there's almost always something I'd change for the next time I brew. However, if I find myself pouring pint after pint of the same beer, then it's got to be a success!

I don't take my friends opinions very seriously. Few of them have very refined palates when it comes to beer, and they usually make some amusing comments about some of the unique flavors they're tasting. One said, "Wow! This is really hoppy! I like hops!" about my Scotch Ale (22 IBUs, single bittering addition, somewhat high FG - probably the maltiest beer I've ever made). Another said, "Hmm...you really spiced this one up with holiday spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and stuff, huh?" about my Lake Walk Pale Ale (zero spices, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade hops). Most of them try to compare my beer to BMC if it's light colored or Guinness if it's dark. I do take their compliments well, though, and if it's popular with my friends, then I also consider the beer to be a success.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you think it's good, it's good.

If THEY don't think it's good, it's all in how you suffer fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I don't take my friends opinions very seriously. Few of them have very refined palates when it comes to beer,
I feel the same way. Most of my friends have never had a beer beyond the usual American Light Lager so they wouldn't know if what I've made is good or not. They usually say, "Wow, that's bitter."

As far as judging whether my brew turned out good, I've been on a clone kick for the last little while so it's pretty easy. Now that I've honed my skills somewhat and refined my own pallette I know what's good and what's not. I rarely have a batch I won't drink.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #10
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I listen to what anyone says about my brew, but unless the person truly enjoys whatever style it is (or at least a style that is similar) I don't think much about it one way or the other. I mean come on it is unrealistic to think that a bud light drinker will like your best IPA or stout, but I always hope they'll like some of the lighter/less hoppy beers I make. I also know who I can count on to tell the truth and who I know will just say they like it no-matter what b/c they don't want to hurt my feelings.

My true measure of success though is if the beer tastes how I thought it would when it is finished its a success, if it doesn't its not a success. I never feel that it is perfect, but I'm usually satisfied overall.

Quick Reply