Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do you pronounce...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall St. Brewer
Thank you, all. I think I may try making one. Anyone else ever do one recently?
I havent made one recently but the Scottish and Irish beers are my favorite. They are malty beers with little hops flavor or aroma. The IBUs are in the low range starting out at about 10 for the 60/ and maxing out at about 35 for a Strong Scotch Ale (barley wine territory OG's). They always have a bit of roasted barley in them and sometimes a bit of crystal or peat smoked malt also.

If I was going to try to describe it to you I would tell you to think the exact opposite of a IPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
A shilling is/was 5p (five old pennies)
Yup, I knew that much...just never bothered to find out the history behind the beer.

Actually, this thread has inspired me to try my hand at a Scottish ale, myself. I'm a big fan of strong, malty, lightly hopped ales. Has anyone brewed Midwest's kit? Is it good? They list the ingredients on their site, so I could easily come up with an AG variant. Or, does anyone have a good AG recipe they care to share?

BTW, I think I'll call it "Slash Dash," "Eighty Over Naught," or something equally sarcastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply