Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do YOU name your beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Greyhound002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How do YOU name your beers?

Just taking some gravity readings on a honey wheat I'm making, and a name for it finally popped into my head. After years away, I've finally settled back down in my home town. So I thought hey! Hometown Honey Wheat has a nice ring to it! I'm not sure if anyone else is using that name or not. Wouldn't wanna steal a "brand".

So the question is, how do yall come up with your beer names? Should be a fun discussion!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 119 Posts

Sometimes an event during brewing is an influence as is a play on words and ingredients. With my names, often a label makes the name more obvious. I make labels but seldom get them printed out. You never know, they may come in handy if I ever do a BOP.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Ron_Blackhurst
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Well my name is Ron and My first beer was an American wheat so I named it "Ron Wheatley"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
EineProsit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I was at my lhbs yesterday. We talked about beer names. The store keeper had made a Rogan beer that was so ugly it was hard to look at. He named it Medusa
Lol

Man All I wanna do is go Homebrew!

Zoidberg Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1932 Times on 1697 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

Agreed! For example,I'm writing a dystopian sci-fi book about FEMA camps,the New World Order,guards on every corner with portable SCMODS called PPDS's,etc. Orwell's world comes to pass,but some 70 years later,in 2034. So anyway,My main character got his home brewing hobby turned into a 6bbl brewery by the well-healed patrons of his sector. but right before he & his friends change things back to something more normal,they'll put out a Whiskely Stout called Queen Anne's Revenge with an etching of Blackbeard on the label. I actually brew this beer & this is the label for it;
http://
So that's one example. My family has a mountain in WV that was settled in 1734 by my ancestor from Upper Bavaria,Germany. Some 3 counties worth of land was deeded to his father by the then German king or whatever. The mountain has been know by our surname ever since. but since folks see our simple 5 letter German name,they insist the "u" is missing. So "cougar" became our family nick name. I named my best to date IPA Cougar Mountain IPA for that reason. I did an all NZ hopped IPA,naming it after the original people that settled New Zealand,the Maori. Thus,Maori IPA was born. Early on,I did an AE pale ale that had such a nice color,that I named it Sunset Gold pale ale.
So names can come from family history,or pop into your head from something,anything you happened to write that triggers memory response. Some place you've been,something you read,something you heard. Keep an open mind,& your brain will reward you in ways you couldn't imagine till it happens. then you'll understand. So keep an open mind & enjoy the ride. I sure am!

People Like This 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Greyhound002
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great discussion already! Love hearing the stories behind beer!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1932 Times on 1697 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

Glad you like our stories. It's not always easy to talk about my family's past,but this is the time to make a point,in my mind. It's how I come up with names for my beers that can,albeit colorfully,describe the beer. Usually in a historical context that gives the name,& thusly the beer,a bit more honor & history of it's own. I hope y'all understand that aspect of it. I think & research things,& the names just sort of come to me. As some might guess,I'm a thinker. I love putting some thought into things like this that invoke splinter's of the mind's eye.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
ZombieCat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have only done 4 batches and only 2 of them have been named.

My very first batch was a porter. It came out okay (definitely drinkable) but had some off flavor issues. I almost called if Friendship Porter because all my friends kept telling me how good it was. I know they were being nice.

Second batch was a very strong stout almost imperial stout range. While it was still in the fermenter, the GF and I were watching Spaceballs when she looks at me and says "You need to call it Liquid Schwartz" The name has stuck.

Third batch we dont talk about it. I did something so incredibly stupid I am ashamed of admitting it. It got dumped. It was drinkable but at about 2.6 ABV there was no way I was going to keg it and I did not feel like bottling any of it.

Fourth batch was a tweaked version of the third so I am calling in Mulligan Pale Ale. It tasted awesome right off the bat and ever sample from the fermenter has tasted great. Going to cold crash it here in a few days and keg it.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I name mine according to what strikes me at the moment.

I have an Imperial IPA I called Imperial Stormtrooper because I kind of like Star Wars and just thought the name was kind of fun to say.

I have a stout I called Shaved Monkey Stout because someone looked at the recipe and said, "That's gonna grow some hair on your tongue".

I have an Amber I named Lame Duck Amber because I am not a fan of ambers but made this at a friends request.

So yeah my naming process is really random as to how I feel about the beer and recipe.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

fijigus Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I named the last one Mike, I am going to name the next one Alice.

Quick Reply