Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do you limit beer consumption off kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default How do you limit beer consumption off kegs?

I was cutting up a tree last weekend, getting frustrated my chainsaw was to small for what I was doing. After a few hours I came in the house and my friends who came over to "help me" were sitting around the kitchen table enjoying some home brew, which is fine, even encouraged! But one friend has had to much, he's slurring his words. I told him he needed to call someone for a ride home or I'd beat the crap out of him. So as he's waiting for his ride, he asked for some home brew to take home; I picked up the keg of stout, and half of a newly tapped keg has been drank. This was my "A" list stout, that would have lasted me months to drink, savoring one pint at a time. All I'm saying is what the heck people. I'm not going to nag another grown man to stop drinking, I am not his mother or his wife (not their job either). Next time I'm having people over I'll valve off the co2 and that will limit how much can get drunk; on the other hand I don't want people to see what I'm doing and start monkeying with the co2. How do you limit beer consumption off kegs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I was cutting up a tree last weekend, getting frustrated my chainsaw was to small for what I was doing. After a few hours I came in the house and my friends who came over to "help me" were sitting around the kitchen table enjoying some home brew, which is fine, even encouraged! But one friend has had to much, he's slurring his words. I told him he needed to call someone for a ride home or I'd beat the crap out of him. So as he's waiting for his ride, he asked for some home brew to take home; I picked up the keg of stout, and half of a newly tapped keg has been drank. This was my "A" list stout, that would have lasted me months to drink, savoring one pint at a time. All I'm saying is what the heck people. I'm not going to nag another grown man to stop drinking, I am not his mother or his wife (not their job either). Next time I'm having people over I'll valve off the co2 and that will limit how much can get drunk; on the other hand I don't want people to see what I'm doing and start monkeying with the co2. How do you limit beer consumption off kegs?

they will always find a way, lol i had a good friend kill 3/4 bottle of johnny blue while i was in the back bbq'in

My eherms build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/rea...course-325623/

Help support my new LHBShttp://www.facebook.com/socalhomebrewing

Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I would bottle off the kegerator before friends come over and disconnect the liquid lines from the kegs and hand out bottles.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

mikescooling Likes This 
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2194 Times on 1443 Posts
Likes Given: 4389

it's easy for me. I'm very anti-social in the real world. it's not very often my wife & I ever have people over. and when we do, 98% of the few don't like my "dark beers", such as my Helles.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
People Like This 
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you have a "special" beer that you don't want to share, then don't share it. Take it off the tap and sub something else in. You can't regulate how much people drink if you put it out for them. Same goes for expensive bombers, rare beers etc.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Choose your friends more carefully.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

People Like This 
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
judsonp
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Offer them a different beer that you don't mind parting with, don't offer them beer, or don't complain about them drinking your beer.

For example, the beer in my fridge is established as my fancy, expensive beer that's off-limits. Guests drink what's on tap.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
mikescooling
Recipes 

A few of you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm the first one to admit I am part of the Hypocrisy. Many times I started with one beer and that turned into two, then three. It's not the end of the world, a beer that I was thinking about for the last 4 months was pounded down, like a college kid drinking at a party. If you give beer away for free, a small few people may decide that free beer means, drink as much as I can. If having tapped beer turns into a problem, no matter what happens, I'm not turning into a beer nazi. And that is why I am asking you folks for help and ideas?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Smaller kegs? I don't think taking the CO2 off would help - if there is even a decent amount gone from the keg already the head pressure would probably allow the rest to flow (might get mighty slow by the end though so that could "limit" them)
You could get mighty trick with it and hook up a couple of solenoid valves to the beer lines, one to the beer, one to CO2, and a flow switch/sensor and a microcontroller so that if too many beers are poured from a keg in too short a timeframe the beer valve shuts, CO2 opens and it looks like the keg has blown. Wait untill the freinds have gone and you can reset your tap and enjoy a nice quiet pint of you A-list stout!
I image that that wasn't really what you were imagining but at least you could hassel them for always killing your kegs when they are over!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
mikescooling
Recipes 

How about a 24v solenoid valve in the beer line and a time delay. You get one shot at pouring a beer, then have to wait five minutes. mattd2 if I did it that way, I wouldn't be able to work it. My crap would be broken.

Quick Reply