*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do you keep beer at cellar temp without a cellar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
disasterjustavoided
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default How do you keep beer at cellar temp without a cellar?

Title just about says it really. I've been thinking about my beers (more specifically my British Ales) and how I serve them. If I stick an ale in the fridge I'm halfway down the glass before I start to taste some of the subtler tastes and room temperature seems a bit too warm. I've also heard that the act of pouring into a glass can warm a beer up to between 2-4c.

So how do you get your beer to reach the perfect temperature? Is there some simple secret that I'm missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Keg your beer and keep it at the temp at which you want it served. If you brew primarily British ales and want them served a little warmer, you set your kegerator at that warmer temp.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Old 02-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2048 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

We have a digital control panel on our fridge that allows seperate temp settings & actual readings for the fridge & freezer. I set the fridge at 47F. Stuff in the back can still freeze a bit. But the ales warm faster this way.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I usually keep my more specialty beers (non-everyday beers) in my temperature controlled kegerator in the mid 40s. If you don't have the space for a kegerator, I have seen small temperature controlled wine chillers that can hold 4 bottles.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: Assassyn IIPA (Odell's Myrcenary clone)
Bottle: Battering Ram Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 118

You can pull the bottle out, set it on the counter for a while to warm up. I did that often before I got my dedicated beer fridge. Now I just keep it at 45 degrees. If I want a brew warmer than that I pull it out a little before I want to drink it.

Quick Reply