Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do you Filter Out Hops after Boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #21
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Are hop bags not standard equipment for most people?

I use the draw string bags for 1-2oz of leaf or pellet hops and never have any problems. Is there a reason other people don't use them? If I have even more I use a larger fine mesh bag, I guess what a lot of people use for BIAB.

I can't imagine doing it any other way.
utilization. I like the fact that the hops are flowing freely through out the kettle during the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #22
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
utilization. I like the fact that the hops are flowing freely through out the kettle during the boil.
How significant do you think the difference is? If it isn't fairly significant I'd rather deal with lower utilization than clogging my kettle valve.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Whirlpool with a pump and use a side-pickup on the kettle. That leaves most the hops behind. If it's a super hoppy beer, just sanitize a paint strainer bag, and use it to filter the wort heading into the fermenter.
Whirlpooling might work with pellet hops, but whole cones are almost guaranteed to get stuck in the diptube/valves/pump assembly, no? If not, please give me some more details because I’d like to overcome whole cone clogging!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
I always find it pretty amusing that people put the pick-up tube near dead-center from the kettle. If you whirlpool, that's exactly where all the hops debris + hot break are going to end up.

I've fitted my kettle with a simple copper ring that has very small holes drilled underneath it, and it's installed about 2/3rd of the way on the floor of my keggle. The hops + break all end up inside the center of it and I can draw off all of the liquid after whirlpooling briefly and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.

In fact, the brewpub I briefly worked at used a whirlpool of 5 minutes (thru a pump) and settle time of 5 minutes. Their draw-off outlet was mounted, you guessed it, about 2/3rd of the way up from the kettle center. Their kettle was nearly flat but with a aim towards dead center, and there was a drain there too, to clean the kettle.

When I refer to 2/3rd of the way up, I am referring to the horizontal plane, not vertical.

MC
Pictures? Sounds like an interesting set up that I might be willing to try on my Keggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter78 View Post
Look up my build. Works pretty well for around $30 altogether. All stainless steel. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/120-...ellets-325650/
I love this screen setup. Mine is difficult to clean inside the screen, this looks like it could disassemble for a deep clean. Thanks for the links in your build!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #26
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Pictures? Sounds like an interesting set up that I might be willing to try on my Keggle.
I don't have a picture handy, but think of this (below), but instead of exiting over the side, it exits through a compression fitting, and ball valve through the wall.

When I built mine, I put the part I wanted to be flat between 2 sheets of plywood, and gently hammered into shape. It also flattened the tube slightly, which helped when drilling small holes.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #27
SkipperNC

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have a 15 gallon Blichmann brew pot and have used the following methods with various results, all using pellet hops only, on a variety of brews:

- Straight draining - huge trub and mess into the fermenter, occasionally this is the result of a failed alternate method

- Blichmann false bottom - like an idiot I tried this with pellet hops. DO NOT DO THIS. It stopped up within a gallon of transfer.

- Hop Blocker from theelectricbrewery.com - used the screen and dip tube as shipped, clogged on two brews, both within the last gallon of transfer, and without whirlpooling.

- Whirlpool then racking with hops thrown directly in - fairly successful, but lots of trub in the pot left over. I missed my usual fill mark into the fermenter due to this.

- Whirlpool then racking, hops hung in a hop bag for boil - Extremely successful. Probably the best method for filtering I've used, and honestly, one of the cheapest.

To whirlpool I did the following: Chilled wort, settled for 5 minutes, whirlpooled violently for a minute. Let it sit for 15 minutes, repeat whirlpool, repeat sitting again for 15 minutes. Rack the wort off from the side of the kettle with an auto-siphon.

In Bottles: Maple Oatmeal Stout
Planning: Apricot Blonde, ESB, American Wheat
Gallons in 2012: 35

Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperNC View Post
[...]
To whirlpool I did the following: Chilled wort, settled for 5 minutes, whirlpooled violently for a minute. Let it sit for 15 minutes, repeat whirlpool, repeat sitting again for 15 minutes. Rack the wort off from the side of the kettle with an auto-siphon.
Seems like the second whirlpool would totally undo the first, wasting 15 minutes...

Cheers!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
SkipperNC

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Seems like the second whirlpool would totally undo the first, wasting 15 minutes...

Cheers!
Yeah I'm thinking so too. I read the technique elsewhere. At this point I'm still trying out everything to see what fits my brew day routine while still getting good results. I could certainly try skipping the second whirlpool.

EDIT: I should note that I have not gone back and tried just using a false bottom or hop blocker while placing hops into a bag. That could be just as clear and save time used on whirlpooling. I'm interested in seeing what others use here too.
In Bottles: Maple Oatmeal Stout
Planning: Apricot Blonde, ESB, American Wheat
Gallons in 2012: 35

Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Skipper, how much hop material are you seeing in the bottom of kettle/whirlpool cone when using the hop bags? Is it mostly break material?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply