Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do you Filter Out Hops after Boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
imperialipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok I ordered that hop stopper for the blickman from Electricbrewing. I"ll boil up my next batch of iipa and post back so you guys with Blichmans will know if it works or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
tknice
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialipa View Post
Ok I ordered that hop stopper for the blickman from Electricbrewing. I"ll boil up my next batch of iipa and post back so you guys with Blichmans will know if it works or not.
Cool.. let us know! I have heard a few complaints about it as well but I don't see how it wouldn't work provided you open the valve slowly like he says in the videos.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I am also interested how the hop stopper works,I asked for it for my birthday which is next month

Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
leolee86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What I do is just line my fermint bucket with a 15 by 15 sanitized nylon brew bag. Pour the entire brew kettle into it.. and then lift it out. Hop pieces trub and all

Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I think that is honestly the most elegant and simply solution leolee66. If you are doing batch sizes that you feel comfortable with lifting and dumping the entire kettle by hand, I endorse that method 100%. However this becomes a little tricky brewing a 10 (or 15 in the OPs case) gallon batch by yourself.

With that being said, there has been more than one occasion where me and a buddy have had to dump a nearly full keggle into fermenting buckets due to hops clogging up the diptube.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
peter78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Look up my build. Works pretty well for around $30 altogether. All stainless steel. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/120-volt-stovetop-steel-5-gal-electric-brew-kettle-bazooka-pellets-325650/

144.jpg  

Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknice View Post
Hey imperialipa,

I have the Blichmann 15 as well and have always used a paint strainer bag with whole leaf hops--never tried it without. Maybe go a little slower with the valve? It will take a little longer but you might find it doesn't clog. Also, maybe check out blichmann's hop blocker. I don't have any experience with it but it could improve your situation.

TK
I have a hopblocker from blichmann and it is marginal at best, not really worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialipa View Post
if you did not order the diptube with the HopStopper you may have to modify your diptube by putting notches around the tip otherwise it may tend to clog. the first time i used mine i was able to drain 3.5 gallons before it started to clog intermittently then it really slowed. now i have cut notches and know to slow the drain for the last gallon or so. also, do no whirlpool or recirculate for best results.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
I have a hopblocker from blichmann and it is marginal at best, not really worth the price.

if you did not order the diptube with the HopStopper you may have to modify your diptube by putting notches around the tip otherwise it may tend to clog. the first time i used mine i was able to drain 3.5 gallons before it started to clog intermittently then it really slowed. now i have cut notches and know to slow the drain for the last gallon or so. also, do no whirlpool or recirculate for best results.
The diptube is part of the hop stopper (the one from the electric brewery). I have it and just pulled the Blichmann Diptube out, replaced the lock nut thingie on the new one and inserted the hop stopper. It works fabulously!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Whirlpool with a pump and use a side-pickup on the kettle. That leaves most the hops behind. If it's a super hoppy beer, just sanitize a paint strainer bag, and use it to filter the wort heading into the fermenter.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Are hop bags not standard equipment for most people?

I use the draw string bags for 1-2oz of leaf or pellet hops and never have any problems. Is there a reason other people don't use them? If I have even more I use a larger fine mesh bag, I guess what a lot of people use for BIAB.

I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Quick Reply