Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do you decide what beer to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
sieglere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How do you decide what beer to buy

So I love walking through the beer isle and looking at all the variety (my supermarket has good craft selection). I normally just use Google Goggles and beer advocate to decide. I was wondering how you guys decide? Word of mouth? Darts, dice, or other games of chance? Brand loyalty? Love BMC so much you wonder about this concept of 'choice'?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 74

So the way I normally choose is If I haven't had it I need to try it. Love the Pick six deals they have every where now. I also go for the style of beer I like and for the most part that seems to work. I did make a mistake and bought a 6 pack of something that was awful. I should have known since it was only $4.00 but hey you never know until you try it!! To me Craft Beers are Like Pokemon you gotta catch them all.

Primary - Wingnutt's Somethin Pumpkin
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Apricot Double IPA
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
trimpy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use ratebeer/beer advocate to make sure it isn't terrible. I can't get singles here in WV so I try pretty hard to not get stuck with a 6 pack 'o crap.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 3353

BA has a phone app now, type in the beer and it gives you the score. I don't let it deter me unless its less than 80.
not huge about this but when im trying a new brewery or expensive bottle ill see how well its rating stands.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My local liquor stores will print out BA or RateBeer sheets on some of the good beers and tape them to the shelves where that beer is at. But, normally, I know of 50 or 60 goto beers I can grab and will surely be happy. Since I rarely buy beer, I will buy one or two unknown beers and one or two "favorites" as a treat.

For 2013, I think I've only purchased beers of which I don't have the same style bottled up at home.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I typically look for things I haven't had before. I don't trust any beer reviews, just because everybody likes something different and 99% of the beer out there isn't technically flawed. I focus on breweries that are closer to me, but if something comes along that isn't well distributed in my area I snatch it up. I look for novelty, so that when I know what I'm feeling like, I have a wider selection to pick from when I find something really great.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
texas red
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I frequent a store that sells a lot of singles and doesn't mind breaking six packs up. Then I can try one without committing to six. If it's an IPA or a IIPA, I always check the dates. I also usually pick up a six of something I've had before, too.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
mrdauber64
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I look for brands I am familiar with and buy anything different that they have. I love the seasonal stuff. I look for anything from Stone and Surly for sure, then I browse the pick six for anything that looks appealing.

I also browse the isle as research for my next brew. If I am brewing an Oatmeal stout I will try and find good examples of those beers and then look what ingredients they use to get a good idea of what to use when creating my recipe.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 186

I look for the style that sounds good and seasonal stuff from well known breweries. The real craft selection is not at my closest super market. I have to go to the more specialized super market, liquor or the Wine and Beer store by work when I run low on new beer to drink/explore. Costco is also another place I check for seasonal brews anytime I am there.

Next:On hold
Primary: Smoker Toasted Oatmeal Stout (9/27/14)
Secondary: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14)
Bottled: Freezer Clean Out APA (9/1/14)
Drinking: Water and Craft Beer

Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
PDX_T
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I like getting something new when I shop, usually in 22s.

Quick Reply