*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How Do You Buy Your Ingredients???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
tdiowa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How Do You Buy Your Ingredients???

I know my problem is not unique to me so I am asking for advice. I have been a home brewer for several years now. As all homebrewers know it is a addicting hobby and one that you constantly evolve and upgrade in that quest for the perfect beer.

Here is my situation. My wife of 28 years does not share the same enthusiasm for my hobby as I do. In fact she has never tasted any of my beers. To bad for here but that is another story. I do have a local Home Brew Shop but selection is very limited so am somewhat hamstrung when it comes to buying equipment. So I have been buying over the internet.

Here is my problem. I do not want my wife knowing that I am buying this equipment. I save my nickels, dimes and quarters and pop cans and when I have enough money I make a purchase use a money order and purchase through the mail. I have all the equipment delivered to my office and the wife is none the wiser(?). Here is the rub. Three out of the last 7 orders I have place through the mail using a money order has not arrived at Home Brew Supply vendors. This causes me to cancel the order and trace the money order and then cancel the money order. One order placed in June arrived at the Home Brew Equipment vendor in September and it was going from Iowa to Minnesota. This delay is very expensive and time consuming. Of course it is very frustrating because we Home Brewers want our "stuff" yesterday.

For those of you who are in a simular situation what do you to purchase equipment? Master Card is out of the question and so is a personal check. Can you do a fund transfer or something?

I am at a loss and very frustrated with the USPO system. I am open to any suggestions.

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Your could try growing a pair.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I don't think you care how I buy my ingredients. My wife supports my hobby, and we discuss most every order I place.

I have no idea how to help you, but I think you should probably start by being honest with SWMBO.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The solution is actually quite simple:

Marriage counseling.

And no, I'm not being a dick, I'm serious. If you have to sneak around behind your wife's back just to buy some stuff for a hobby you love, then something tells me your relationship is not built on trust. You don't need to ask us how to sneak behind your wife's back more efficiently, you need to ask yourself why you're sneaking around in the first place. She's your wife, not your owner. Seek counseling, bro.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Well, I always use a credit card- but have you tried Paypal? I think AustinHomeBrew takes Paypal, but I'm not sure.

We're not here to judge or tell people who to run their lives. It's your life- your decisions. If you've been married 28 years, obviously there is alot of good there.

Let's stay out of judging other people's lives, please!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ask the LHBS to order stuff. I bet they can.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
PearlJamNoCode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Talk to your wife.

Planning - Ale Yeast Oktoberfest - PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN OFFER ANY ADVICE OR A RECIPE FOR THIS

Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dude, that's a tough one. I'd probably tell you the same thing, "talk to your wife" ...yada yada, "be honest" ...yada yada. Mainly because I discuss everything I buy with my wife. Having said that I know plenty of guys that are married that just do not have that relationship. Rather than trying to have you change your marriage of 27 years in one post, I'll recommend that you look into paypal & having the LHBS order for you like others recommended. Also, you can open your own checking account and get a debit mastercard/visa and use that to order online.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 12-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Couldn't a trusted friend act as a relay...?

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
jdoiv

Recipes 

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Buy what you want, and then beg forgiveness for spending your money.
Works for me.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Quick Reply