The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do i describe American beer difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
robertandrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do i describe American beer difference?

Love American beers. Pretty much prefer them to those here in the UK. They have a slightly different taste. Brooklyn, Sam Adams, Serra Nevada, love 'em. But I am a newbie. What is the difference in real terms and where does it come from?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are lots of things that can make differences, but I think if English beers are known for there rich malt profiles, and Belgian beers are known for the character of the yeast, then with American beers it's all about hops hops hops. Sure, there are beers made here that aren'tbig hop bombs, but most of the best known American craft beers really showcase those big resiny, piney, and citrusy US hops.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

From my understanding the larger differences come from the yeast and the hops. American hops are decidedly more citrus in character than European hops. American yeast produces less fruity esters than English yeasts. Do you prefer any particular style?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaconga View Post
From my understanding the larger differences come from the yeast and the hops. American hops are decidedly more citrus in character than European hops. American yeast produces less fruity esters than English yeasts.
Second all of that. It is just a fundamental difference in style.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Germans are the masters of malt- the classic german styles derive from major differences in malts, techniques, malting, and mashing.

The Belgians are know for their yeast wizardry- classic belgian styles typically have simple grain bills and easy recipes, with the real character coming from the amazing yeasts Belgium is known for- a huge variety of strains which cover an enormous span of flavors and fermentation profiles.

American brewers make beers with awesome control over unique hops varieties. What's the difference between an english brown ale and an american? Big Hops aroma and flavor. British IPA and american? Hops again. American hops are fruitier and more dynamic in character, with wide ranges of flavors from dank, piney and citrusy to fruity, floral and minty. American beers tend to differentiate themselves from other contemporaries by their manipulation of hops.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply