Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do homebrew busts go down in MS and AL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3479 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Default How do homebrew busts go down in MS and AL

Just wondering how it goes down. I mean, it isn't like a pot raid with SWAT guys in body armor knocking down your door, shooting the dogs, etc. Right? Putting your hydrometer in a baggie for later forensics?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If they did, which I doubt they really even do, it would be like this....sort of keystone coplike. They show up for something else like pot, and then go, "Holy Smokes, he's making a "spiritus substance which will more than likely make him blind...so I must bust him for that too."

or like what happened to some of our members at ohio university

http://www.examiner.com/x-241-Beer-E...p-by-officials

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Wow. From the end of that video:

"You can probably brew this stuff for a long time and not hurt anybody. But the first time that you brew it and and you don't get your recipe exactly right the concoction you make could at the very least blind somebody and worst case scenario kill the person that's drinking it. The concoction he was making could be deadly. Sure didn't look good."

Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
shadowmage36
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Blah. I'm at work and can't see the video. Were they simply brewing or were they distilling? Because that's total BS if they were just brewing. If they were distilling, then they MIGHT have been able to get enough methanol in their brew to hurt someone, but then only if they were REALLY bad with their initial fermentation. I highly doubt it.

So many things to keep track of...Not enough space to write about it anymore.
Just click the stupidly large link below to see:

Two Ravens Brewing

"Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."
-E.A. Poe, "Lines on Ale"

Follow me on Twitter: @tworavensbrew

Member of the American Society of Brewing Chemists
http://www.asbcnet.org

Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Uhhh... the last time I checked only specific kinds of alcohol can cause blindness - and it has to be a high concentrations. Sounds like typical discriminatory assumptions to me.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

the video was 18 yrs old Not many people knew a thing about brewing beer. I bet the pot charges stuck but the "moonshine" allegation was dropped .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 05-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmage36 View Post
Blah. I'm at work and can't see the video. Were they simply brewing or were they distilling? Because that's total BS if they were just brewing. If they were distilling, then they MIGHT have been able to get enough methanol in their brew to hurt someone, but then only if they were REALLY bad with their initial fermentation. I highly doubt it.
I saw keggles. And a couple of cornies. They used the word "still" a lot, but it sure looked like a brewing setup to me.

That's be funny if the pot plants were actually cascades germinating. heh.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmage36 View Post
It's a pretty famous clip that we've discussed here ad nauseum. They show papazian's book, kegging equipment, mash tun, jockeybox,etc. It's really clear that he's a homebrewer, and the police have no understanding of the difference between homwbrewing and distilling.

There are still folks in the law enforcement community who still know very little. There's been threads about drive ups while brewing, and people suspiciously eyeing thier brewing equipment. Especially now that some folks cook meth in 10 gallon coolers, just like we mash in (they turned one up bubbling away in my town last summer, I guess they set em up in parking lots and let them cook or whatever they do overnight.)

Hence why some states still can't get out hobby legalized, there is still a lot of ignorance out there.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
the video was 18 yrs old Not many people knew a thing about brewing beer. I bet the pot charges stuck but the "moonshine" allegation was dropped .
There's some followup info on here somewhere about what happened to him.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I saw keggles. And a couple of cornies. They used the word "still" a lot, but it sure looked like a brewing setup to me.

That's be funny if the pot plants were actually cascades germinating. heh.
to the uninformed it could very well look like a still setup . Couple of pots a coil of copper a burner ... today I bet some would think meth lab

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply