The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How do craft/commercial brewers get their beers in stores so fast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
scoundrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How do craft/commercial brewers get their beers in stores so fast.

I was watching an episode of Brewmasters and good old Sam mentioned something about getting a beer from boil to serve in around 4 weeks. How do they condition beer so fast? After 4 weeks many if not all of my beers still have "green" beer flavor. I can't imagine that a beer would be ready to sell and taste great in a month.

Would tricks like filtering or fining agents like Biofine Clear make a difference? Perhaps he has a beercraft time machine. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think bottling lines help.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think it's a combination of the beercraft time machine and a few other advantages that pro brewers have over us homebrewers. From what I understand, they pitch yeast at higher rates and the conicals are conducive to faster fermentations, as well as the fact that they have a lot of temperature control over their tanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tons of reasons, heres a few:

They pitch extremely healthy yeast at the correct rate.

They ferment at the correct temperatures and they know exactly when the gravity gets to where they want it.

Taste testers tell them when the yeast have cleaned up after themselves and there is no off flavors left.

There lower the OG usually the faster it can be.

I'm sure others will chime in on the other 300 reasons.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Plate filters....The few times I used my filter it turned my green tasting beer into 3-4 month old conditioned beer. You can either let time clean up your beer or use a filter. This and all the other methods already listed like proper temps, pitching rates and master testers. I love the results of using a filter but actually using one is a completely different matter.

Not so fun.

shat happens

Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
jamcclureuk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_B_Mongo View Post
I think it's a combination of the beercraft time machine and a few other advantages that pro brewers have over us homebrewers. From what I understand, they pitch yeast at higher rates and the conicals are conducive to faster fermentations, as well as the fact that they have a lot of temperature control over their tanks.
I didn't know that conicals are conducive to faster fermentations....... is this true?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When you ferment beer under pressure it restricts ester formation, this allows you to ferment slightly warmer without causing off flavors. The warmer temps speed up fermentation letting you hit final gravity quicker.

The conical fermenter puts the yeast under a slight amount of pressure, so they can ferment in my reading ~3-5 degrees hotter and achieve the same flavor as a homebrewer that much cooler.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfish42 View Post
When you ferment beer under pressure it restricts ester formation, this allows you to ferment slightly warmer without causing off flavors. The warmer temps speed up fermentation letting you hit final gravity quicker.

The conical fermenter puts the yeast under a slight amount of pressure, so they can ferment in my reading ~3-5 degrees hotter and achieve the same flavor as a homebrewer that much cooler.
It restricts ester production somewhat obviously by restricting the production of alcohol and organic acids which occurs somewhat less obviously because the hydrostatic pressure limits yeast activity which would lead to a slower fermentation. Going warmer just gets them right about to where they would have been with the small batch.

Almost nothing at the commercial level happens faster than it would happen at the home level with modest equipment expenditures. Home brewers have the obvious and huge advantage that their tanks will settle much faster.

Plenty of home brewers can turn beer around just as fast as DFH.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Nickme23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Almost nothing at the commercial level happens faster than it would happen at the home level with modest equipment expenditures. Home brewers have the obvious and huge advantage that their tanks will settle much faster.

Plenty of home brewers can turn beer around just as fast as DFH.
I completely agree. I routinely turn a beer around in 2-4 weeks from kettle to glass. English Mild and Hefe, a week, 2 tops.

My Wife - "Sleeping burns calories too..."

ChshreCat - "... Hell, fermcap is made of silicon. That's the same stuff that fake breasts are made from. Would you want THAT in your mouth? Oh wait...."

Planned: Northern Brown, Mild, Irish Red, Scottish 60 & 80 shilling, Vienna, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Schwartzbier
Primary: Air
On Draft: Mild, Northern Brown

Old 01-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Elves?

Quick Reply