Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How did you get into home brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1135 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

Started brewing Christmas day 2011 with the Mr Beer kit my wife gave me as a present. I'm very hands on and didn't feel like I was really brewing with their kits, so after 4 Mr Beer batches I jumped into 5gallon all grain batches. I have started enterering competitions and earning medals and basically become obsessed with brewing. Before I started to brew my go-to beer was PBR and boy have my tastes and beer budget expanded since then!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I had a few buddies that homebrewed in college. So when I graduated and moved for a job, I picked up The Joy of Homebrewing and got started from there.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: N/A
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
Spicemon1972
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've loved beer since I was 16 and took a two week trip to Europe (The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland & Austria) with my high school choir. When I got home, my dad said "Well, I guess you had some beer while you were over there, so here you go." and handed me a Busch Light in a can. I took one sip, made the bitter beer face and said thanks but no thanks.
Fast forward a few years and I went to college and drank some pretty awful commercial beers - I call this my dark period.
In my 20's I got really interested in good beer and started buying the better craft brews and imports whenever I could. I built up a palette and was enjoying myself quite a bit. Never once did I think of brewing my own.
Add 18 years and my neighbor, also a beer nerd, invites me to a local "learn to brew" day. I was hooked! Within weeks I had bought a starter kit and my first extract kit and it has been pure beer love ever since. I have been brewing for about a year now and I love the whole process - recipe creation, brew day, bottling - each part has become something I do with great joy.
This year, I will be moving to All Grain to gain even more control of the process.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like beer, I was bored one weekend and needed a new hobby.
Since I like to make things, I read about home brewing all weekend and ordered a starter kit on the following Monday.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #25
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always wanted to try brewing batch of beer. One night I was watching good eats with my wife and the homebrew episode aired. It re-sparked the interest and I told her I would love to try it one day provided we had room to do so. Well fast forward a few years and a move to a house with enough room.... she remembered and surprised me with a kit for xmas. I have been brewing up a storm ever since starting with extract and worked my way to all grain.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
Conelrad
Recipes 

Some friends from work homebrew and kept trying to get me into starting myself. I said, why should I start brewing when I can just go your houses and drink your beer!
Well they keep the peer pressure up for a few months and I finally caved. Went straight to kegging and having lots of fun. Have a few trips to the UK and Europe under my belt so I appreciate the "good" beer. It's nice to be able to make it yourself.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

ive always liked beer, have bartended for a decade, and started to talk about doing it in 2010. at that time the only store that sold homebrew supplies was like 40 min away. (boohoo, right? lol)
last summer a great lhbs store opened up literally 1 min from my house! a friend and i brewed partial mash beers at his store and bought the equipment necessary to turn my spare fridge into a kegerator. big outlay, but screw bottling.
as soon as i had my kegerator setup my mind was made up. i dropped a wad of cash on my setup and have brewed a dozen beers since the summer. love it
i daydream of opening a brewpub/restaurant on the reg now. ugh
i love reading about/making beer as much as i enjoy consuming it!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #28
Idrum6969
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

A lot of use got intro brewing for the same reasons. The first time I made beer I was hooked! It has turned into a obsession for me. It is one of the most rewarding labors of love......

New River Brewery & Co. Making home brew since 2012.
Primary- Dundalk Secondary-Dark Wheat Porter. Bottled-Chocolate Stout & Dawson's Multigrain Red. On Tap-Oud Bruin de Table Farmhouse Ale & Speckled Heifer Ale.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #29
E-Bot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well for one my Grampa was a winemaker and was pretty fond of drinking. It makes me feel a little closer to him now that he's gone.

What really got me to get in to it was taking a microbiology class last semester. I was having so much fun with it that I started thinking I needed to have a hobby involving microbiology. My class actually took a tour of Swamp Head brewery and that's when I decided I would make beer instead of trying to culture B. anthracis

Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
Butchv12
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got started in the early 90's --- a can of extract and 5 pound bag of sugar. Don't laugh..... you can make a better beer than B/M/C using this method. There were not many shops then and the internet was fairly new --- most of my ingredients came from ads in the back of magazines. Wow have things changed since then.

I started brewing because it was a cheap way to drink beer --- I have continued to brew because it's a fantastic way to always have GOOD beer in the fridge.

I have been all grain for the past 10 years or so, and just recently started making 10 gallon batches.....

ButchV12 = A&P Mechanic / Home-brewer 20 some years

Quick Reply