New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How did you get into home brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Idrum6969
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default How did you get into home brewing?

Mr Beer started this adventure for me. Unlike "The Jelly Of The Month Club" this gift really did keep on giving the whole year through. Once I got a feel for the process I picked up a couple books. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing & How To Brew. I bought enough gear to move up to a 5 gal extract beer. I have never looked back......... I owe some motivation to Dawson, Keeler & Walton on Brew TV as well. Those guys shared some useful info that I use every time I brew. I also have expensive taste in my beer. I figured in the long run I could make beers I liked for about the cost of two six packs. Little did I know the investment I would have in this hobby. How bout you? What made you jump into the world of homebrew?

New River Brewery & Co. Making home brew since 2012.
Primary- Dundalk Secondary-Dark Wheat Porter. Bottled-Chocolate Stout & Dawson's Multigrain Red. On Tap-Oud Bruin de Table Farmhouse Ale & Speckled Heifer Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Always loved beer, got hooked on trying all different types of beer toward the last couple years of college. About 3 years out of college, my best friend started brewing/ working occasional shifts in a microbrewery.... I was quickly on board, immediately hooked, and putting together my homebrew setup - ordered it from Williams Brewing. Started with extract for maybe 10 batches and then went all-grain. And now ..... closing in on 17-18 years of brewing.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I started with a winemaking equipment kit, and a Riesling. I made a few wines from kits, then branched out to fruit wines thanks to Jack Kellers website.

Beer was always on the horizon, but I was intimidated I must say. I read up on the process and quickly realized I already had nearly everything to make the jump. The internet was a baby compared to now, so info wasn't so readily available as it is now. After some digging I decided I can do it, with the help of Midwest Supplies and their extract kits.

I brewed a few of those, then went all grain. The rest is history.

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Idrum6969 Likes This 
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Onihige
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, or at least parts of it. But oh, well...

It all started at my sisters wedding, several years back. They were serving mead for the toast. I think it was a spiced mead, smelled like gingerbread cookies. And as soon as I had my first sip of mead, I knew I had to make some of my own!

I started researching, but not enough. My first recipe barely came with enough information and it didn't turn out well.

Then my father handed me a beer making book, in Swedish... from the 90's. It was quite outdated, but it opened my eyes to the fact that I hardly knew anything about a beverage I had dismissed as something inferior.

So I started buying all kinds of beer, everything from American lagers to domestic porters and English Brown Ales.

Newcastle Brown Ale was the first one I really liked, but nowdays I can't stand it. But I suspect I got a bad bottle last time...

All grain seemed complicated (HOW WRONG I WAS!) so I decided to try Coopers Real Ale kit, failed yet again.

Next time I bought 4 kg of DME, some Hallertau Mittelfrüh and White Labs London Ale. Epic success!

Then I found out about BIAB, and I felt stupid for not starting there.

Read up some more, then my father also wanted to brew. So I taught him, which in turn helped me understand brewing even more.

This isn't a beer belly, It's a fuel tank for a love machine.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Idrum6969
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onihige View Post
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, or at least parts of it. But oh, well...

It all started at my sisters wedding, several years back. They were serving mead for the toast. I think it was a spiced mead, smelled like gingerbread cookies. And as soon as I had my first sip of mead, I knew I had to make some of my own!

I started researching, but not enough. My first recipe barely came with enough information and it didn't turn out fell.

Then my father handed me a beer making book, in Swedish... from the 90's. It was quite outdated, but it opened my eyes to the fact that I hardly knew anything about a beverage I had dismissed as something inferior.

So I started buying all kinds of beer, everything from American lagers to domestic porters and English Brown Ales.

Newcastle Brown Ale was the first one I really liked, but nowdays I can't stand it. But I suspect I got a bad bottle last time...

All grain seemed complicated (HOW WRONG I WAS!) so I decided to try Coopers Real Ale kit, failed yet again.

Next time I bought 4 kg of DME, some Hallertau Mittelfrüh and White Labs London Ale. Epic success!

Then I found out about BIAB, and I felt stupid for not starting there.

Read up some more, then my father also wanted to brew. So I taught him, which in turn helped me understand brewing even more.
I went through the process of trying all sorts of beer to get ideas of what I wanted to brew as well. Where I live we have a limited market on craft brew or micro brews. It has gotten better in the last few years...... And I to like the BIAB as well. That may be my favorite method of brewing these days.

New River Brewery & Co. Making home brew since 2012.
Primary- Dundalk Secondary-Dark Wheat Porter. Bottled-Chocolate Stout & Dawson's Multigrain Red. On Tap-Oud Bruin de Table Farmhouse Ale & Speckled Heifer Ale.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

There was a shop in NYC called "The Little Shop of Hops" that was across the street from Lord & Taylor, the big department store. I bought a kit there, buckets, capper, racking cane, bottle wand, hydrometer, and extract ingredients, and gave it a try. My first batch came out OK, I tried a few more and they kept getting better. It was something for me to do with a 2 year old in the house. I used bleach to sanitize, and would lay out paper towels on top of my table to put all the equipment down. I did it for a few years and then stopped, I think because we then had twins and just had our hands full.

About 10 years later, one of my twin daughters needed a science project, and somehow we came up with fermentation. I looked for the homebrew shop and it had long ago closed, and there were no others in NYC. I found one out in Bayshore LI, and drove out, picked up a new kit since most of my old equipment wasn't usable as it sat in a damp basement, and started again. Then I found the online shops, then 2 new homebrew shops opened in Brooklyn, with the Whole Foods also opening up a homebrew section. I've moved up to BIAB, kegging, and my next thing is to grow my own hops!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Some pretty cool intro stories, folks!

My roommate in college mentioned one day that we should just brew our own beer. We split a starter kit from MidWest (Night-cap Cherry Stout), we started collecting bottles, and brewed the sucker. I still remember the day the we opened the boxes. We burned our boil kettle one day when it was cold out and had to stop brewing for a couple years. In 2011 I started again and have been AG ever since. It's probably my most-loved hobby currently. Kyle

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
fergyrock
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife heard about our local HBS talking with some co-workers and decided to get me a basic home brew setup for my birthday and said I need a hobby that keeps me thinking, learning, at home more and doesn't injure me (that's if you don't count the boilover burn from my first stovetop batch ).

I have always loved creating things and typically only drink bigger, hoppy and unfortunately more expensive beers so it was a perfect match. I am only about a 15 brews in but I was quickly hooked and made the investment to brew AG after my first 5 batches. SWMBO knows what best for me and I am lucky she is so supportive.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Was a member of a wine club where we all made kits. One day one of my clubmates was talking about making a beer kit. Told me beer kits had come a long way so I decided to try one. Moved from kits to extracts to AG and never looked back. Retired from making wine now!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I love to cook and BBQ, and occasionally thought about trying my hand at brewing. SWMBO frowned disapprovingly whenever I mentioned it because "You have enough hobbies."

Unexpectedly ran into an old friend of mine at his garage sale last fall. He was dumping his home-brew kit because he "didn't have the patience for it." Gave it to me in exchange for a six pack of my first batch. Hellofa deal, IMHO. SWMBO rolled her eyes, but could hardly object at the price. His kit had everything but the ingredients. Got the kit on Saturday, and was brewing Sunday afternoon.

BTW, SWMBO loves the aroma of brewing wort and has loved every style I've brewed so far!

James

Quick Reply