The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to Constructively Criticize?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Bud lite wheat is pretty clear. Have to remember to roll it prior to drinking.

Most wheat's I've had are hazy, even the American styled wheats. However, the yeast I feel is the big difference between a true Wiezen and a Wheat beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Personally I'd just not drink it and not return to the brewery. Your chances of getting someone receptive to your suggestions or criticism is probably slim.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
Nightshade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

The key is to look at it the same as you would want to hear it.

Talk directly to the one responsible for brewing it
Strike with a velvet hammer...don't just say "This is not a Hefe" or "This beer sucks"
While doing this ask questions that draw his intent out as well as what he personally thinks of the brew, some places you brew according to the owners recipe and have nearly no say in what or how it tastes and looks because that is what the owner wants.

Talking to the waitstaff about it gets you nowhere and makes you look like a snobby b***h

Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
VagabondBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had a long post but decided against it

Short and sweet on another perspective for constructive criticism

As a Brewmaster, I would politely humor someone on the criticism and then blow it off. If someone wants to know the reasoning behind it I will be happy to oblige but if you just want to tell me how to change the beer because it doesn't fit your style then it will politely fall on deaf ears. Unless someone is specifically asking for criticism in this industry, most don't need/want it.(Quality Control issues are always wanted) I honestly don't have an issue if someone comes in finds the beers aren't to their style and leave. I have found brewing as my creative expression, not everyone likes every piece of art.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 335 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 267

I guess I would break criticism up into two categories:

If I get a beer that is bad, literally something wrong with it - bad lines, infected, undrinkable - I would (and have) told the waitstaff that there is something wrong with the beer and to take it back and get me something else. Simply no excuse for that. It would be no different than getting a dirty glass or silverware, or raw meat when you ordered well done.

Now, if it is just that I don't like the way they brewed a style - not hoppy enough IPA, too sweet on the brown ale, too light of a wheat beer, whatever. I guess I would not bring it up myself. Now, if the brewer or waitstaff asked for my input, I would tell them - "to be honest, it was not what I expected at all - way to light for my tastes - almost seemed like a light american lager and I was anticipating a richer, german hefeweizen based on the name/description. Nothing wrong with it as a light beer, just not what I thought it would be." Then maybe ask them about another of their selections and if they have something more to your liking.

If I did not like their styles/interpretations, I just would not go back. But, it is their brewing and they are under no obligation to brew "to style." If I don't like it, I don't go back.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
I agree with Krispy. Ask them what they were looking for in their interpretation of the style. Then, you could add something like "That's interesting. Not many brewers make traditionally hazy beers clear. But how you make a beer is not a law and experimentation is a good thing". Side note-- Had a Kona Weilua (sp?) wheat and it was clear as a whistle. Did not enjoy the taste of that one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Krystallweizen (sp?) is a legitimate beer to make...but if you're going for Hefe then not so much...
I've never had the Kona one, but SN's Old Chico Crystal Wheat is pretty damn good in my book.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
If I did not like their styles/interpretations, I just would not go back. But, it is their brewing and they are under no obligation to brew "to style." If I don't like it, I don't go back.
It's one thing to have an interpretation of a style and another to miss label the style. I think this is a case of mislabeling the style. Hefe is cloudy. There are at least 2 wheat styles that I can think of off the top of my head that are not cloudy.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It's always worth it to double check that you actually got the beer you were expecting. There have been times I was poured a different beer from what I ordered, and sometimes the server just doesn't know the difference. Kegs can get hooked up to the wrong line, tap handles can get put on the wrong tap, etc.

There was another thread on here recently that discussed the proliferation of sub-par craft brew. Now that craft brewing is on such an upswing, there are a lot of people who want to get on that trend and not all of them are putting out the best beers. It could be that the owner of the establishment you visited was some investor who doesn't know much about beer and hired a brewer based on the "credential" of having traveled and brewed in San Diego. I loved that line, it's like: "I've been to Houston, I'm an astronaut!" In the end, if their local clientele likes their beer, they will last, if not, they will close down, and if they survive only because they fill a niche that no one else in that area does, just be glad you have other options!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Personally I'd just not drink it and not return to the brewery. Your chances of getting someone receptive to your suggestions or criticism is probably slim.
This.
1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Oatmeal Blonde

Old 09-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Maybe it's somewhat of a misnomer, and it's actually an American Wheat. I don't know how, but my 50% 2-row/50% white wheat beer using Wyeast 1010 is the clearest beer I've ever seen. I've made it 3 times, and people think it's filtered. It is the color of BL (though much more flavor). I don't try to present it as a hefe though.

Quick Reply