Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to clean the beer line cheap and easy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
Gab1788
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I just clean my lines when I clean my kegs. I start cleaning my kegs with rinsing a couple of times with vigorous shaking, then I put the sanitizing solution in and shake. Then I just hit it with Co2 then connect the beer line that I want cleaned and pull the tap. I figure this also properly sanitizes the beer out dip tube.
Then I rinse the keg again and run through the beer line again.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Ctforte
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlester

Good to know. Do you have any expertise to add?

DL
It seems like yu have the idea. I couldnt think of an easier way to clean the lines. Taking apart the fuaset and cleaning is a pretty important step that often gets over lookd. Commerialy we use a beer pump hookd up to CO2 and some sanke sockets with a bucket of cleaning solution. But on the home brew level I couldnt think of a better way then using corny kegs
Old 09-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Bradzukie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlester

Great idea, I assume you have a beer line right off the keg.

DL
Yes, I run it right off the keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctforte View Post
It seems like yu have the idea. I couldnt think of an easier way to clean the lines. Taking apart the fuaset and cleaning is a pretty important step that often gets over lookd. Commerialy we use a beer pump hookd up to CO2 and some sanke sockets with a bucket of cleaning solution. But on the home brew level I couldnt think of a better way then using corny kegs
Thank's for your input Ctforte. My article is about cleaning lines in a tower used on a Kegorator. I know that old beer can stick to the interior of the beer line, and I believe should be removed as much as possible. I think the best way is to run as much liquid through the line as possible, which isn't the same as just sterilizing the line.

As you can see in some of the other participants, some that have a line hooked up to their corny keg run a lot of liquid through the line while cleaning their corny kegs. I think they have the same idea too.

As far as the tower, your right, it does get overlooked. Hey, I tend to be lazy, and cleaning the tower requires extra effort. However, I'll make a promise to clean the tower faucet as well.

Cheers

Old 09-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #15
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradzukie View Post
I run oxyclean through it and let it sit for a while. Then I run starsan through it while I sanitize my keg. I let it sit in the line until I attach the keg with beer. Seems to work well for me.
This is exactly my method as well. I make sure to do it within 24 hours of a keg emptying, and haven't had any trouble yet.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab1788 View Post
I just clean my lines when I clean my kegs. I start cleaning my kegs with rinsing a couple of times with vigorous shaking, then I put the sanitizing solution in and shake. Then I just hit it with Co2 then connect the beer line that I want cleaned and pull the tap. I figure this also properly sanitizes the beer out dip tube.
Then I rinse the keg again and run through the beer line again.
Regarding the cleaning of kegs: I normally take apart my corny keg, but after reading this I tried your method and have to say it is much easier. I even attached and cleaned my beer line used to pull beer off the keg before cleaning. Thanks for the idea.

DL

Old 12-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #17
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I found that I need to clean my keg lines weekly, but no later that bi-weekly. The lines get permanently dirty and makes my bear foam uncontrollably.

Recent Articles
Bourbon Style Ice Beer 30-40% ABV
How to Clean Beer Lines Quick, Cheap and Easy
Chimay Triple White Clone
Competition Winning Maibock/Helles
Post Pics of Your Brew Day

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/my...wery-3740.html

Quick Reply