New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How can anyone drink Budweiser ...yuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #111
muskogeeindian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

it's about $12 a case here at my store

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #112
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskogeeindian View Post
it's about $12 a case here at my store
And how much is Bush or Natural Light?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #113
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Budweiser or whatever people wants to drink they can drink I see no reason why somebody haves to ask himself why? people have different tastes and the rigth to choose/buy/drink whatever they want... even if it is yellow cold fizzy pee

Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #114
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Everyone is not a connoisseur. If you want some beer you might not want to take a chance on all these weird beers you know nothing about. Budweiser is a safe bet. I only really started going out of my way to buy unique beers after I started home brewing. I'd always give different local beers a try, but I wouldn't go around just buying something because I'd never had the style before. I wanted something I could drink most of the time and didn't want to get stuck with something I wouldn't like.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #115
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Another reason that just occurred to me is consistency.

Bud has attained the same level of consistent, mass produced product available world wide as fast food concessions like McDonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut. ( On an aside this is So much so that, internationally, this was what we thought of as American beer. In the UK, it is a relatively recent change that means greater availability of Brooklyn lager, blue moon, goose island and Sierra Nevada brews in our supermarkets so things are changing gradually.)

Back to consistency....

I wish I could say the same thing for craft brews, but I've often read people discussing a craft brew or microbrewery product with differing opinions where one participant will say " maybe I got a bad bottle, I'll try another one". I've had three bottles of one product from a local brewery here that all tasted different.

I think that global uniformity has a lot to do with their popularity, along with the fact that the product is a great example of the style and is more or less what people try to emulate when they want to produce a crisp American lager.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #116
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

I think consistency it´s important for big bussiness, consumer wants to buy something and know how is going to taste but it doesn´t need to be a set back for craft breweries, good thing about artisan proccesses are exactly that artisan and unique, nobody will ask a winery to replicate the exact wine every year, every vintage it´s different and that´s part of the beauty. What can really be a problem with craft beers is lowering the bar, cutting down expenses in raw material or changing brewing methods, trying to squeeze a penny to much and you will lower the quality... I can accept a beer changing, different it´s good but I don´t accept lowering the bar

Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #117
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'd agree to a point about your analogy with wineries, but whilst they have seasonal variations that are subtle in the most part they do not tend to produce two bottles that are completely different tasting products and label them as both being Pinot noir for example.

There is subtle variation and then there is just poor batch control. The three beers I mentioned were supposed to be chocolate cherry milds according to the label but they were so inconsistent that they may as well have been different brews. Subtle was not a word to describe the differences.

Yes, consistency control is easier to achieve on massed production scales than artisan brewing, or cheese making, or jam etc,etc but once a product is branded and offered for distribution consistency should at least be something the producer is trying to achieve. There is no point in putting labels on a product to say it is one thing if the next time a consumer goes for one based on a good past experience it tastes so different as to be unrecognisable.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #118
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspanner View Post
I'd agree to a point about your analogy with wineries, but whilst they have seasonal variations that are subtle in the most part they do not tend to produce two bottles that are completely different tasting products and label them as both being Pinot noir for example.

There is subtle variation and then there is just poor batch control. The three beers I mentioned were supposed to be chocolate cherry milds according to the label but they were so inconsistent that they may as well have been different brews. Subtle was not a word to describe the differences.

Yes, consistency control is easier to achieve on massed production scales than artisan brewing, or cheese making, or jam etc,etc but once a product is branded and offered for distribution consistency should at least be something the producer is trying to achieve. There is no point in putting labels on a product to say it is one thing if the next time a consumer goes for one based on a good past experience it tastes so different as to be unrecognisable.
Exactly: the beer or wine doesn´t have to be the same but it has to be recognizable, that´s the key, some control and consitency it´s required and specially good storage and transportation, and this is very subpar compared to wine. For instance I´ve work in many restaurant with big wine list and decent beer list.. the wines were pampered... and the beers well they were stored outside sometimes in a very hot summer day... I wonder how many of the differences that we taste in beer are due to transport and unproper storage.

Quick Reply