Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to blend beers (post carbonation)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
GoNova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How to blend beers (post carbonation)

Guys,

I would like to blend two very similar beers to free up a keg. I have about 1/4 of a keg of each and both are fully carbonated. Is it ok to simply rack one into the other? I thought I read on here once that we should avoid racking carbonated beer.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've not done it but the Pros rack carbed beer every day. I would just attach the outlet of one keg to the outlet of the final keg and slightly unscrew the pressure relief valve to allow a flow. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Should be good if they're both at the same pressure. You should need to vent the receiving keg a few times during the transfer, and go outlet to outlet as mentioned above, and you'll be fine.

Blending is a great way to create something new!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrain View Post
Should be good if they're both at the same pressure. You should need to vent the receiving keg a few times during the transfer, and go outlet to outlet as mentioned above, and you'll be fine.

Blending is a great way to create something new!
Thanks guys. I'm a bit confused on what "outlet to outlet" means. My thought is to replace my picnic tap with a liquid disconnect. And then attach the liquid disconnect to the "out" post on the second keg. If the pressure in the second keg is lower, then the beer from the first keg should flow into the second keg. Does this sound about right?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 11-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4924 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Probably the best way is to make a "jumper cable" type set up. That's what I do.
I've never moved to a 1/2 full keg, but I "jumped" into empty kegs all the time. I like to do it when I take a keg on the road, to leave the sediment behind in the first keg.

Anyway, how it works is this- black QD, beerline (about 3' is good), black QD. That's it. Then, put the first black QD on the first keg. Vent the second keg so that there is no pressure on it. (Take the receiving keg OFF the gas!) Turn the psi down to about 2psi on your regulator. Then place the second black QD on the "out" post of the receiving keg. You're going from "out" to "out" with the black QDs. The beer will start to flow. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the second keg. That's it! The beer will foam slightly, but not as much as if you were racking or using the faucet.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Probably the best way is to make a "jumper cable" type set up. That's what I do.
I've never moved to a 1/2 full keg, but I "jumped" into empty kegs all the time. I like to do it when I take a keg on the road, to leave the sediment behind in the first keg.

Anyway, how it works is this- black QD, beerline (about 3' is good), black QD. That's it. Then, put the first black QD on the first keg. Vent the second keg so that there is no pressure on it. (Take the receiving keg OFF the gas!) Turn the psi down to about 2psi on your regulator. Then place the second black QD on the "out" post of the receiving keg. You're going from "out" to "out" with the black QDs. The beer will start to flow. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the second keg. That's it! The beer will foam slightly, but not as much as if you were racking or using the faucet.
Worked perfectly--thanks guys (and gal)!

Quick Reply