How big is your CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VagabondBrew

Reaction score
Currently with the setup I use there is a 20lb CO2 on a charging fridge while a 5lb CO2 tank on a 3 tap tower system (Ice chest, splitter, tank, tower)

We did our first tasting party with that tap tower and ran out of gas half way through the night but had 3 half filled corneys left.

First thought is we have a leak, the second is 5lb might be too small.

What does everyone else use? Or any tips with using a tap tower?

I have (2) 5lbs, (1) 8lb, (2) 10lbs, and (1) 20lb

How long they last depends on how you are using them, like if you are force carbonating and serving. You didn't say if you had been using your 5lb prior to the tasting party. A 5lb bottle should be able to dispense at least 6 or 8 (5) gallon kegs of beer. Even using it to force carb you should get close to that. If yours ran out much sooner than that, then you have a leak in the system.

Generally the bigger tanks are better. They last longer, and they become cheaper to fill as they go up in size. It is only a few dollars more to fill a 10lb vs a 5lb, and a few dollars more for a 20lb. The issue becomes the space you have for your bottle, and the amount of money you have to purchase it.

I have 2 5lb tanks. It would be nice to a have a larger tank but ..it won't fit in my keezer. Nice to always have a full back up. It sounds like you have a leak. I can get 4-5 kegs force carbed and dispensed on a single 5lb tank.

Thanks for the response.

You're probably right with the leak, its really the only thing I can think of. We had filled it before the party and went and had another filled which used about half its gas finishing off the kegs mentioned above.

We just tore apart the air system because of the possible leak and that we were getting a different splitter for the taps. I moved a lot of that hardware to the charging fridge which so far isn't leaking but still watching it closely.

I have
[standard aluminum CO2 tanks]
1 20#, 1 10#, 1 5#, 2 2.5#
[paintball tanks]
2 20oz, 1 16oz and 2 12oz

I use 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs. It took me a while to go through the first 5# tank of CO2. Since then, I picked up the 20# and 10# tank. The 20# is feeding the kegs in the brew fridge. The 10# is it's 'backup' tank. I use the 2.5# and paintball tanks for either pushing finished brew from fermenter to serving kegs, or to transfer to one of my aging kegs. I also use the 2.5# tanks to push cleaning/sanitizing solutions through the beer line/hose when a keg kicks.

I believe that a 5# CO2 tank should carbonate, and serve, several 5 gallon kegs. I had a leak in my gas side initially, which is why the first fillup of the 5# tank didn't last as long as it should have. To find the leaks, I simply set the regulator to feed 20+ psi through the system and then listened for the leaks. At 20-30psi a small leak will make itself known. I found the culprits to be the worm clamps I was using to hold the gas line to the fittings. I changed those for Oetiker clamps leaks have become a thing of the past. I also use MFL fittings (and swivel nuts) wherever possible on both the liquid and gas sides. This makes it easier to change things, repair the system, or break it down as needed.

+1 to what Golddiggie said. At 20 psi you should be able to hear where you are losing co2 by listening by all your connections. You can also "paint" your connections with a diswashing liquid solution, or a leak detecting solution, or even starsan and watch for bubbles.

I have a 20lb for my lager/carb fridge (where i'll push 30 to force carbonate, then down to 12 to normalize), two 5lb for the four tap kegerator, to serve with at 12 psi all the time. These last a while. You definitely have a leak. The soapy water/starsan is great. I had a hell of a time tracking down a leak until using that. Couldn't hear it, but could see it eventually!

Right now I have one 5 # tank for my 2 tap kegerator. I plan on picking up another 5 # tank as a backup. Would go with a bigger tank but I don't want to have to keep the tank outside the frig.

I have a 5lb. tank that I force carb and serve with. I also use it to push cleaning solution, rinse water and starsan through my system every time I keg a new beer. I am on my third keg now. So it stands to reason a full 5lb. tank should be able to serve 3 kegs no problem. You have a leak, plain and simple. Starsan in a spray bottle will be your best friend,

Unlimited supply here. I have (2) 5 pounders I keep in my kegerator, here at the office I have 100's, from 5# to 100# :ban: got a bulk storage tank outside.

That being said, I use one 5# tank at a time to force carb, run 3 taps, & I used it for other odds and ends like purging kegs and bottles.

Man...there is just no substitute for having enough CO2. Started with one 20# tank; now have three. Recently had 9 kegs carbing at the same time.

5# 4 tap Keezer + 2 soda connectors. So I push 12psi to 3, 40psi to 3 and I fill that 5 pound twice a year. How are you guys only getting 7-8 5g kegs on a tank???

TheSlash said:
5# 4 tap Keezer + 2 soda connectors. So I push 12psi to 3, 40psi to 3 and I fill that 5 pound twice a year. How are you guys only getting 7-8 5g kegs on a tank???

Are you sure you have a 5# tank? From your description it sounds bigger.

I have a 5# and can carb and serve about 5 - 6 kegs on my system, no leaks.

5# 1 tap set up. I fill up about once a year or more when i break a washer and leak out. I've had leaking issues a lot and filled about 5 times in the last year.

My welding supply shop is awesome and they usually fill me up for free when I come back in 2 days later looking pissed off at myself...

I use a 20-lb tank and it lasts me over a year... actually I don't think I've swapped it since 2010. In addition to fixing leaks, another thing that can help conserve CO2 is to shut off CO2 to a keg that's getting close to empty. There's generally enough pressurized CO2 in the headspace of a mostly-empty keg to push several pints with no noticable drop in dispensing pressure. It makes for a lot less wasted CO2 when a keg finally kicks and your guests try to dispense another pint, blowing tons of CO2 out the faucet.

Are you sure you have a 5# tank? From your description it sounds bigger.

I have a 5# and can carb and serve about 5 - 6 kegs on my system, no leaks.

Positive 5#. I wonder if people also check all their kegs, line connections, tank and regulator connections for leaks? They can be very hard to detect.

I force carb 2 liters all the time. I also force carb soda water, which is set to 60 psi for a couple days, then 40.

I haven't filled my tank since last summer.... 4 on tap right now.. /shrug.

Positive 5#. I wonder if people also check all their kegs, line connections, tank and regulator connections for leaks? They can be very hard to detect.

I force carb 2 liters all the time. I also force carb soda water, which is set to 60 psi for a couple days, then 40.

I haven't filled my tank since last summer.... 4 on tap right now.. /shrug.
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that most people never bother doing a proper leak-check until they have obvious issues. Listening for a hissing noise is not a proper leak-check.

Another thing that I see a lot is people trying to use a hose with too large of an ID. When it doesn't seal tightly on the hose barb, they just overtighten a worm clamp on it thinking it will eventually seal up. :drunk:

I just started out using a 20oz paintball tank and I can force carb and serve 2 corny kegs
im planning on getting a bigger one soon

I have found it also depends on where you are getting it filled and how they are doing it. I used to go to a local liquor store that filled 5 and 10 pound tanks for only 5$, but found myself in your situation where the 5 pounder kept dying way faster than when I first got it. I went over my system a dozen times looking for leaks cause it died way too fast twice in a row. I then eventually took it to a place to have it hydro tested and they filled by weight. In talking to them, they said they actually supply several liquor stores with tanks, and said when a tank is filled at a liquor store all they do is hook it to a bigger tank and fill until the two equalize in pressure. So, depending on how full their tank is and a few other factors you are most likely not getting a full tank. I had them fill my 5 and 10 pounders almost 6 months ago and my 10 just only recently died.

I would recommend going to a welding supply store or someplace that fills by weight. you may be surprised...

I have found it also depends on where you are getting it filled and how they are doing it. I used to go to a local liquor store that filled 5 and 10 pound tanks for only 5$, but found myself in your situation where the 5 pounder kept dying way faster than when I first got it. I went over my system a dozen times looking for leaks cause it died way too fast twice in a row. I then eventually took it to a place to have it hydro tested and they filled by weight. In talking to them, they said they actually supply several liquor stores with tanks, and said when a tank is filled at a liquor store all they do is hook it to a bigger tank and fill until the two equalize in pressure. So, depending on how full their tank is and a few other factors you are most likely not getting a full tank. I had them fill my 5 and 10 pounders almost 6 months ago and my 10 just only recently died.

I would recommend going to a welding supply store or someplace that fills by weight. you may be surprised...

I go to a place that does hydro too. Look for a scuba shop =)

Between proper leak tests and proper filling it looks like a 5 pounder ranges between 5kegs at worst and 25+ at best.

Big difference.

(1) 20lb in the Main Kegerator, (1) 5lb in the True TDD-1, and (1) 5 lb. spare. The True idn't used unless I need to serve more than 4 beers on for a crab party ot on the patio where I can wheel it out.

Don't forget your local fire suppression shop, its where i work and we fill cheap! Less than 5 bucks for both 5&10 lbers.

Don't forget your local fire suppression shop, its where i work and we fill cheap! Less than 5 bucks for both 5&10 lbers.

That's where I go to get mine filled... I need to get my 2.5# tank refilled (if I don't sell that one) which I think costs all of $7 for a refill. 5# tank is $10, 10# is $12, 20# is $17... That's in Quincy, MA too.

does anyone run the big tanks? i wouldn't know the gallons but they are about 4 feet tall. they are heavy but should last a long time. Also i don't even know if you can get co2 in them. but i know i see welders with them here.

I just got handed an older tank today that is about 4' tall. It came out of a garage, still has CO2 in it, but the tank's hydro is expired.

going to haul it over to the welding supply shop tomorrow and see how much it is to re-inspect the tank and fill it. Excited to finally put the 5# into a portable rig :)

does anyone run the big tanks? i wouldn't know the gallons but they are about 4 feet tall. they are heavy but should last a long time. Also i don't even know if you can get co2 in them. but i know i see welders with them here.

Oh yea for sure. They just weight a lot and if you have a leak, it is costly to keep refilling.

A leak on a tank that big could also kill you and every animal in the house in short order.

A 5# tank is no threat.

A 20# tank, maybe, but the conditions would have be just right... a small house or apartment, very well sealed, etc.

Emptying a full one of those tall tanks indoors could quickly drop the oxygen concentration in the house below the level required for human/animal life. It's no joke.

A leak on a tank that big could also kill you and every animal in the house in short order.

A 5# tank is no threat.

A 20# tank, maybe, but the conditions would have be just right... a small house or apartment, very well sealed, etc.

Emptying a full one of those tall tanks indoors could quickly drop the oxygen concentration in the house below the level required for human/animal life. It's no joke.

Good point, NO WAY would I have a 50# tank in a house.

A 5# tank is no threat.

I'd never thought of that before, but that's a pretty good point. And the safety relief valves do fail from time to time. Someone had a post on here a couple weeks ago about how they'd picked up an exchange tank with a bad safety valve. If I remember correctly it was just sitting in their basement when the safety valve blew and vented the entire tank.

Back