New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How bad was your first home brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Husher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How bad was your first home brew?

Mine was pretty horrific and I wanted to know if anyone else was as stubborn as I in keeping with the hobby.

My first brew was a coopers lager. My first mistake was I bought one that had expired a year earlier. Second mistake was that I followed instructions from CragTube on adding brown sugar instead of dextrose.

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot about equipment and 'how-to's from CraigTube, but after that experience I decided his tastes in beer are very different than mine. Though I have done other things learned from him that worked out well.

Basically the beer tasked like horribly bitter molasses for what was probably a fine beer on it's own. And time would not heal it.

And stubbornness and the unwillingness to admin to the wife that I screwed it up somehow led me to drink my bitter mistakes one by one. And led to my first lesson in home brew: Do it right once before experimenting.

So What horrible mistakes have you drank?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

My first actually wasn't too bad, but my next 5 or so weren't pretty. I wish my first was bad because I wouldn't have been so confident and have overstepped my skill on the next few.

Oddly enough, it took me almost 7 years to get my first infection though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Funny thing for me at least is only the first beer might taste off then they all start tasting better as the night goes on.

I guess I am lucky though since I have not brewed a beer I have not enjoyed yet.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

My first one was okay. The Mr. Beer pale ale. My second was an all-grain nut brown (Lil Sparky's) and it was fantastic. I've brewed 2-3 that were okay. None that were BAD. Pretty lucky, but I also researched for about 6 months and started off with tried and true recipes for the most part.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
cclloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 70

My first was good enough that it made me want to do it some more.
That was 6 years and about 150 batches ago.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Mine was drinkable, but definitely not something I'd want to try again. My third batch was when I finally realized I could make something I'd enjoy.

Bottled: RIS ; RIS 2 ; BDSA ; Tripel 3 ; English IPA 1 ; Session IPA 2 ; Saison 9 ; Singel 2 ; Porter 2
Kegged: empty

Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Mine was pretty good. I read a ton of info that said to wait, use proper temp control, yadda yadda yadda, and did what was said, and the info was right. I even found a bottle of it that was a year old back then and tasted it an it was even more delicious.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Ghost1220 Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
ctrlpabrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First Beer was an Irish Red Ale that never carbed up...it tastes great though, and makes an excellent cooking beer.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

My first beer was a brown ale that was actually quite good. Haven't had a bad batch yet (knock on wood).

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Mine was a dry-hopped ordinary bitter that was ok. Quite a few people liked it and asked for more, so I don't think they were just being polite, but it wasn't great. I think it was fairly approachable. It was pretty light and bubbly, so it wasn't a huge step away from typical mass-market beers, but it was clearly different, both from the big guys and from the widely available microbrews. It didn't have any significant flaws, either.

Most since have been better, but I haven't had a bad one yet. The worst is my ESB, which is actually ok, but it is way undercarbonated. So it took about 10 tries before anything went very wrong.

Quick Reply