Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How is this for bad luck?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
conneryis007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default How is this for bad luck?!?

Yesterday I was brewing a 10 gallon batch of an imperial black IPA and had 5 minutes to go in the boil. I turned on my pump to recirculate the wort through my plate chiller for the last 5 minutes to sanitize everything. The pump primed and sent liquid out but then dead stopped when it hit the plate chiller. I tried twice and thought oh crap, my plate chiller is clogged, I didn't clean it out well enough the last time I used it! Frantic now, I disassembled the fittings to see if I could blow air through the plate and see inside. While disassembling I found the issue. The silicone check valve from the gas in port of my sanke coupler was perfectly lodged, facing the wrong direction, inside my male side quick release fitting! All of my fittings shared a PBW and then star san bath and some how these two pieces really wanted to be together!

Just thought I would share my need to slow down, or drink less, or pay more attention!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Was it clogged from poor cleaning or hops? I've had hop issues in the past, not sure what you do to filter them out.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Was it clogged from poor cleaning or hops? I've had hop issues in the past, not sure what you do to filter them out.
I have a false bottom in my boil kettle so no hops issue for me. See the reason below (from OP):

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post
While disassembling I found the issue. The silicone check valve from the gas in port of my sanke coupler was perfectly lodged, facing the wrong direction, inside my male side quick release fitting! All of my fittings shared a PBW and then star san bath and some how these two pieces really wanted to be together!

Quick Reply