New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Houston, we have a problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
beanbagz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Houston, we have a problem.

i brewed an all grain batch of cream of three crops cream ale about 3 months ago... i had been looking for a corny keg for some time.. hoping to be able to keg my first batch and not have to bottle... problem is one week turned into 3.. and then 3 weeks turned into over 3 months in the primary..

i now have a corny keg, and transferred my beer into the secondary after this long span of time. i took a small sample out to taste and it really isnt half bad, but is giving me a pretty killer stomach ache.

after looking at the primary, the lid to the plastic fermenter has some black mold growing in the lip of the lid. did i spoil this batch by letting it sit in the primary for too long?

AHHHHH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The duration isnt the problem, the fact that mold got in is (i.e. not an air tight seal). A milder beer like this wont benefit from a long fermentation/aging, but it wont hurt it (minus fading flavors), and like I said, the mold is from a bad seal or bad sanitation, not the beer itself.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
beanbagz1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
The duration isnt the problem, the fact that mold got in is (i.e. not an air tight seal). A milder beer like this wont benefit from a long fermentation/aging, but it wont hurt it (minus fading flavors), and like I said, the mold is from a bad seal or bad sanitation, not the beer itself.
do you think i should go ahead and keg it like i intended to? or dump it? the beer itself did not have any black mold on it.. just the inside of the lid. i just dont know what to do.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Cheap batch, quick turnaround possible, stomach ache, and clear signs of mold.....I think you should dump away, nothing good can come from drinking more of that.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree. While i'm typically an "Anything but dumping it" kind of guy, black mold isnt worth messing around with.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
beanbagz1
Recipes 

thank-you both very much.

Quick Reply