Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Houston Beer Stops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
ChemEMc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Houston Beer Stops

So, on a couples days notice I'm going to Houston for the NCAA final four. I'm going to have some time to kill, what good beer and good beer places are in Houston? Breweries/brewpubs?

I'm from the east coast, what beer might I be able to get in Houston I can't in Virginia?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
DeBrewer
Recipes 

Bottle Shop - Spec's in Downtown [Angels sing as their doors open]

Brewery - St. Arnolds - Loved it. Get a bigger glass and a pint coozy and your set! My favorite brewery to date.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
INWarner413
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sadly, we don't have brewpubs in the city. At a time when craft brewing is booming, I'm amazed someone hasn't cashed in.

Brewery wise, Saint Arnold as mentioned - and if you have the means, Southern Star is a trip up to Conroe, but they're great.

Bottles - yep, Spec's in Midtown is where it's at. Great selection of various brews.

Beer bars - Flying Saucer at Capitol and Main has the most taps, but Petrol Station has the best selection and great food too. Beaver's is also a great place.

Here's a link to an interactive Beer map of the city. Enjoy your time here.

Bottled: Imp. Stout, Imp. Coffee Stout, Cherry Barleywine, GW Molasses Porter, IkePA, Maple Pecan Bourbon Brown, Cherry Melomel, Skeeter Pee, 120 Clone
On Deck: Strawberry Blonde

Old 04-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

awesome thanks. Are all specs created equal or is there a best location to hit?

Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
D_Struct
Recipes 

Midtown Specs is where it's at. Some are pretty small, but that's the largest and has the best selection.

On Deck: Still researching
Primary: Empty (Not for long!)
Secondary: Empty
On Tap: Blood Orange Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, Belgian Tripel IPA, Breakfast Stout

Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Liberty Station on Washington Ave. Their motto is "no crap on tap."

In the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest area (north side of 610) - Petrol Station is tucked away in a little neighborhood - great tap list and good burgers. Also check out Plonk!, it's a wine/beer bar and they have really tasty wood-fired pizzas.

If you're in the Rice Village area (just a little north of where the games are and home to Rice University) go to Ginger Man, they've got a solid selection of craft brews.

A little bit further to the east and closer to downtown is the Montrose area - try Anvil, they have a good selection but a lot of hipsters go there and the service is lousy.

Avoid Flying Saucer downtown like the plague - it's tacky and half of the 100+ taps are BMC or simlar low-quality junk.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
MistyMountainHops
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Petrol Station is a cool spot as is Cedar Creek Cafe if you are in the need for a naughty burger and some patio love.

St Arnolds is amazing. If you could be so lucky, Divine Reserve 11 was released this week but chances are it is gone everywhere by now.

"Offered a Bud Light, and a glass of water - I'd drink the water. You only have one liver, don't waste it on bad beer." - Brock Wagner

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the recommendations. Didn't make it to St Arnolds. We found out to late they are only open 3-4 with one tour at 3:30... Specs was pretty nice though, but not much a couldn't get back in Richmond.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
TWS22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Based on this thread, went to Liberty Station last night. Fantastic place. Not in Houston often, but when I am, I'll be back.

Quick Reply