Hoptober clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I do it with all of mine. Everytime I think I've got it nailed I read some more internets or look at some of my other recipes and start tweaking things. I don't know how breweries leave their sh*t alone.

Reviving an old-ish thread to see how this clone turned out. Was it close? I love Hoptober!

Did nobody end up giving this a try? I might have to then! I have one Hoptober left that I'll have to save for comparison...

I never made it. Kind of got bumped by higher priority brews. I may still do it eventually though.

Wanted to give this thread a little resurrection. My bro-in-law and I both really like Red Hoptober (and sad that it's now about near impossible to find at this point in the year), and have been talking a lot about attempting a clone for our next batch.

Ironically, our last batch which is now at the 2 week mark in the bottle (after a one month primary), actually tastes pretty similar (completely inadvertently) - so we are going to tweak it to try to get closer. The recipe we made is a roasty RyePA. I'll post the recipe later when I have time, but I can say that it used mostly 2-row, with about a pound and a half of rye, and about a pound of vienna, 1/4 lb of cara-red, and 4 oz of 500L roasted barley. The roasted barley flavor is nearly dead on with the Red Hoptober flavor (but ours came out way darker in color). I'm thinking about using 2 oz each of 500L roasted barley and brown malt to lighten up the color a little, while keeping the roastiness. Also, I think that such a small amount of caramel/crystal malt plus WLP007 also hit the dryness level pretty dead on (we are not fans of recipes with too much crystal - 1/4 lb to 1/2 lb is more than enough for me).

I'm also interested if anyone ever got around to trying this one out. Hopefully my recipe (when I post it) will generate some good feedback and get this conversation going again.

I think in am gonna try to break the grain bill down based upon what NB puts on their site and formulate a 5.5 gallon batch. Gimme some time because I am in the field for training now.

I just tried Red Hoptober for the first time, and it's great! Subscribed to see if someone has a recipe....
37.gif
23.gif
24.gif

I'll add to the zombie thread.

Red Hoptober was a past beer, maybe last year. This year it is Hoptober Golden Ale. I think it is damn tasty and would like to find a clone, but it seems there is not too much info available

This is from the New Belgium website

ABV
6.0%
IBU
YEAST
House Ale Strain
CALORIES
HOPS
Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Glacier, Willamette
MALTS
Pale, Rye, Oats, C-80, Wheat
SPECIAL PROCESSING
Dry hopped: 1. Willamette- Earthy, spicy, floral, piney 2. Cascade- grapefruit, citrus 3. Centennial floral and citrus

Latest posts

Back