Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hoptober clone recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #41
chumpsteak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah, I do it with all of mine. Everytime I think I've got it nailed I read some more internets or look at some of my other recipes and start tweaking things. I don't know how breweries leave their sh*t alone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #42
danbrewtan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Reviving an old-ish thread to see how this clone turned out. Was it close? I love Hoptober!

"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live." -Socrates

"Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers." -Voltaire

Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #43
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I too would like an update. This could be my favorite NB brew to date.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #44
danbrewtan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did nobody end up giving this a try? I might have to then! I have one Hoptober left that I'll have to save for comparison...

"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live." -Socrates

"Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers." -Voltaire

Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #45
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I never made it. Kind of got bumped by higher priority brews. I may still do it eventually though.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #46
BrewinBromanite
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wanted to give this thread a little resurrection. My bro-in-law and I both really like Red Hoptober (and sad that it's now about near impossible to find at this point in the year), and have been talking a lot about attempting a clone for our next batch.

Ironically, our last batch which is now at the 2 week mark in the bottle (after a one month primary), actually tastes pretty similar (completely inadvertently) - so we are going to tweak it to try to get closer. The recipe we made is a roasty RyePA. I'll post the recipe later when I have time, but I can say that it used mostly 2-row, with about a pound and a half of rye, and about a pound of vienna, 1/4 lb of cara-red, and 4 oz of 500L roasted barley. The roasted barley flavor is nearly dead on with the Red Hoptober flavor (but ours came out way darker in color). I'm thinking about using 2 oz each of 500L roasted barley and brown malt to lighten up the color a little, while keeping the roastiness. Also, I think that such a small amount of caramel/crystal malt plus WLP007 also hit the dryness level pretty dead on (we are not fans of recipes with too much crystal - 1/4 lb to 1/2 lb is more than enough for me).

I'm also interested if anyone ever got around to trying this one out. Hopefully my recipe (when I post it) will generate some good feedback and get this conversation going again.

Quick Reply