New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hopslam clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Jbbloom1989
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hopslam clone

Ok, so I am going to try and to a clone of hopslam. I have been hopping around different styles and just need a beer that is hoppy and amazing, so I am hoping that I can either reproduce this beer or possibly make my own version. My current recipe is this:

16 lb two row
1.5 lb munich
1.5 lb honey
1 lb carmel munich

2 oz centennial 60 min
1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz cascade 30 min
2 oz amarillo 5 min-flameout
1 oz simcoe 5 min-flameout
3 oz simcoe dry hop

wyeast 1056 american ale

single step infusion at 147 for 90 min

I hope this is enough dry hopping/ bittering. I really have not used these hope very much because I'm pretty new at homebrewing. I have done a lot of research on this style and type of beer, but I am hoping my recipe is spot on. I have no idea of fermentation temp. and I dont know what temp to pitch at either. So here is what id like to ask...

Does my recipe look good?
Is my hopping substantial? (I was to impart more powerful aroma and hop essance rather than unrestricted bitterness)
How much yeast should I pitch as well as should I pitch a starter?
What temp should I pitch at?
What fermentation temp?
How long to ferment/when to transfer to secondary?
Secondary for 2 weeks?
Bottling temp/temp for bottles to stay at?

Well I know I sound somewhat inexperienced, but I am and I really want to learn. For a beer like this being close to 10% abv I dont want to waste the money on all that grain for no reason. I am a poor college student, so I want to make sure I dont waste my money.

Thanks for any input on this beer!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Hopslam is my holy grail of beers to clone. So far have not really tried to copy it yet. I'm close enough that I could probably manage to get some official information if I really bugged them, but who knows.

Based on what I know about the beer, the recipe looks pretty good. At least it's a good starting point. Watch the fermentation temps and be patient.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What's your brewhouse efficiency? What's the batch size? Without these, we cant estimate OG, SRM, IBUs, and ABV.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Jbbloom1989
Recipes 

Looking at around 65-75% efficiency and around 5 gallons maybe 5.5 if I get a little over zealous.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
jakecpunut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've been looking at the hopslam kit from Austin Home Brew

Curious about how yours turns out!

http://YouTube.com/JakeCpuNut

http://surrywebdesign.com

Fermenting - 10 G's of Speer Beer Pale Ale

Tap # 1 - Frozen Toes IPA
Tap # 2 - Nut Brown Ale
Tap # 3 - Rye IPA

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbbloom1989 View Post
Looking at around 65-75% efficiency and around 5 gallons maybe 5.5 if I get a little over zealous.
At 65% brewhouse efficiency and 5.5 gal batch size, we're looking at an OG of 1.084 SG, 78 IBUs, 0.92 IBU/gravity ratio, 11 SRM, and 8.4% ABV using White Labs WLP001 ale yeast with its average attenuation rate.

At 70% brewhouse efficiency and 5.5 gal batch size, we're looking at an OG of 1.091 SG, 73 IBUs, 0.81 IBU/gravity ratio, 11 SRM, and 9.2% ABV using White Labs WLP001 ale yeast with its average attenuation rate.

At 75% brewhouse efficiency and 5.5 gal batch size, we're looking at an OG of 1.097 SG, 69 IBUs, 0.71 IBU/gravity ratio, 11 SRM, and 9.7% ABV using White Labs WLP001 ale yeast with its average attenuation rate.

Reducing the batch size also affects things a lot; for example:

At 70% brewhouse efficiency and 5 gal batch size, we're looking at an OG of 1.100 SG, 74 IBUs, 0.74 IBU/gravity ratio, 12 SRM, and 10.1% ABV using White Labs WLP001 ale yeast with its average attenuation rate.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
Jbbloom1989
Recipes 

In all reality it will be closer to 65-70 and hopefully I'll hit the mark of 1.086 OG which I have read it what Bell's hit. And the IBU's I'm trying to keep in the high 60's to low 70's. So my only question mark is the SRM which I can only guesstimate.

And I'll make sure to keep the batch size at 5.5 I have a feeling that this will leave me a little more room for error, but I'll have to split the batch between to carboys which is always frustrating haha.

Last edited by Jbbloom1989; 08-16-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Forgot information

Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

In talking with some people at Great Taste of the Modwest about that beer, I dont think Cascade hops are used in that one, a lot of centennial though.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Jbbloom1989
Recipes 

Any idea what I should use then? I wanna get this one as close as possible?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

K I've assembled a few official notes on this beer from Bell's via email.. the third one is a supposed official response but I cannot verify it...

1. We don’t have any specific recipes scaled to the homebrew size, but I can offer a bit of guidance. The malt bill is relatively straightforward: stick with 2-row base malt and just a bit of caramel malts for color. Add a healthy dollop of honey. Aim for an OG of 21 Plato. You’ll want to set up your mash rests for moderate fermentability: the sugars from the honey will be largely consumed, so you need malt dextrins around to keep the beer from getting too dry.

Hopping is trickier, but I can tell you that we use a blend of modern American high-alpha aroma hops. A generous dry hop addition of Simcoe with a touch of Amarillo provides the signature aromatic punch. Bitterness is less than most people think, in the mid-to-upper 60 IBU range. Hopslam is all about hop flavor, not unrestrained bitterness.

You can culture yeast out of one of our bottles if you’re comfortable with that; it’s certainly the preferred option for a solid flavor match. The yeast in the Hopslam bottle is the yeast used for fermentation, but at 10% abv, the yeast that isn’t dead will be severely stressed. I would recommend culturing from a lower gravity beer such as Amber Ale, Best Brown Ale, etc.: the yeast is the same & likely to be in superior condition. Winter White Ale is a completely different strain, so don’t use that. Otherwise, the local homebrew supply shops have found that most people looking to clone one of our recipes lean towards the WLP001 strain from White Labs. From what I’ve seen of it, that seems like a reasonable selection, but anything with a straightforward ester profile & good attenuation will work.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck with the brewing!

Sincerely,

Gary S. Nicholas

Quality Assurance & Control

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

2. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am happy to hear that you enjoy our Hopslam Ale. It possesses the most complicated hopping schedule among our beers by a wide margin, and you are essentially correct: most of the action happens late in the boil & during the dry-hop phase. To answer your specific question, we target about 65 IBUs of bitterness.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Gary S. Nicholas

Quality Assurance & Control

3. Per Bells: We use Hersbrucker, Centennial, Glacier, Vanguard, & Crystal in the kettle, and then dry hop with Simcoe. Hopslam has an unusually high degree of fermentation, so you also encounter a fermentation profile that you wouldn’t find in many of our other beers. Lets figure out a clone recipe for this one now that we have the type of hops. I have no experience with Glacier, Vanguard, or Crystal so I will not be of any assistance. Here is one more hint Our internal taste panels regularly identify a peach aroma that is unique among our brands to Hopslam. That, in concert with the various hops, may be the tropical flavor you asked about.

Hope these help...

Quick Reply