Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hops Direct Service
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
thedigitale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Hops Direct Service

I placed an order from hops direct the other day (the 15th), and noticed on the site that it says:

"We began the current harvest at the end of August and are in full production! While the crew and staff are running around the clock you may notice a slower turn around time on your orders. Be assured that we will put every effort to get your order out quickly but it may take slightly longer. Puterbaugh Farms wants your complete satisfaction."

I then received an email after placing the order that said:

"Please allow 1-2 business days for our warehouse to pack and ship your order."

As well as:

"The shipping will be calculated the following business day, due to the fact
that we have a variety of methods available."

I have not heard anything from them since, and while I understand that it may take an extra day or two to ship, I find it disturbing that I haven't even received a shipping quote that was supposed to be calculated the next day.

Has anyone else experienced this lately? I'm seriously tempted to cancel my order, as I don't want to be surprised to by an unreasonable shipping charge when they decide to get my order together. I ordered 5lbs of hops and was not giving a shipping option, have heard nothing back in 4 days, and they're unreachable on the weekend.

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

They are an excellent business.

To put it bluntly, they are selling thier hops for 25% of any HBS... so you can get hops faster, if you like elsewhere.

Typically you can call to get a shipping quote if you pick up the phone, that is what I have always done. Thier shipping isnt crazy high, and considering the sale they are having, youd be hard pressed to get them cheaper anywhere else.

I understand your concern... but this has been running on another thread for a couple weeks. They are swamped because people are cheap, people are also impatient. They cannot accomodate both.

You should have called them prior to placing an order to request shipping. Or asked here on HBT. I got 50 pounds shipped to Indiana for $48

Plan to pay $1 per ounce, total, shipped, that is about what it is costing everyone across the country.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 33

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/grea...-going-135501/

Check out that post for good information. They are legit, just swamped because of the massive drop in prices. You can cancel your order, but you will not find a better deal.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
thedigitale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
They are an excellent business.

To put it bluntly, they are selling thier hops for 25% of any HBS... so you can get hops faster, if you like elsewhere.

Typically you can call to get a shipping quote if you pick up the phone, that is what I have always done. Thier shipping isnt crazy high, and considering the sale they are having, youd be hard pressed to get them cheaper anywhere else.

I understand your concern... but this has been running on another thread for a couple weeks. They are swamped because people are cheap, people are also impatient. They cannot accomodate both.

You should have called them prior to placing an order to request shipping. Or asked here on HBT. I got 50 pounds shipped to Indiana for $48

Plan to pay $1 per ounce, total, shipped, that is about what it is costing everyone across the country.
I don't really feel like I'm being impatient when I'm told one day for a shipping quote and I've waited 4 days, and honestly, if I have to call a company before ordering online, it sort of defeats the purpose.

My concern isn't really about them being legit or not, my concern is that if I'm told 1-2 days, and I plan to brew a week and a half later, I shouldn't have to worry about it. I don't care if I have to pay a bit more if it means I can brew when I have the time to do so. I do care about being given a timeframe, making my plans accordingly, and being screwed.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Well, the email that you got was thier standard email... detailing the process BEFORE they were swamped.

The message on thier site tells you that you can expect a delay... obviously logic would dictate that the 1-2 days to ship an order in the email is not the delayed timeline.

The 1-2 days to ship and the shipping cost timeline was PRE sale. The message on the website was meant to address this. Simply a mis-understanding of the timeline, not a false timeline.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've ordered from them half a dozen times and even though they say that you're gonna get a shipping quote, I've never gotten one. They just ship it. At first it bothered me a little bit, because they say they're gonna give you a quote, but after the first time, I just learned to live with it. Also, you learn over time pretty much what the per-pound shipping rate is going to be to your address, so there's no need for a quote. Me, I paid like $7 to ship 2 lbs from WA to VA.

So yeah, don't worry about the shipping quote. They won't send you one. They'll just ship it. No tracking #, no quote, just one day you'll come home and there'll be hops on your doorstep. Delicious, delicious hops. Hell, it's entirely possible that they're already in the mail as we speak.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #7
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Pol, does Puterbaugh Farms post on HBT? If so, what is their screen name? Thanks, and I agree...for the price that they're "giving away" hops at, we should all be patient.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Pol, does Puterbaugh Farms post on HBT? If so, what is their screen name? Thanks, and I agree...for the price that they're "giving away" hops at, we should all be patient.
No, they dont... I mean they are a hop farm and we are but a tiny speck on thier screen.

They are excellent people though and I have dealt with them pretty closely this year.

Typically it will take 5 business days to get your order to you across the country. Thier shipping is really reasonable when you consider what they are charging you.

$1 per ounce total cost, shipped to you, is to be expected. I know that a lot of people who have never bought from them in the past, are doing so now, and some are getting thier shorts in a bunch.

I like calling good suppliers that care about thier customers to talk shop. They were no exception... they were extremely helpful when I needed a real time shipping quote for our group buy.

I hate seeing great vendors getting cut up becuase they are offering a great sale and get swamped beyond belief. It happens here on HBT all the time.

We complain too much. RDWHAHB

If you buy 5 pounds of hops retail, you will pay at least $125-$150 just for the hops.

Puterbaugh is selling them for $80 shipped. To most that is worth it, to some it is not.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3813 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 3286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I've ordered from them half a dozen times and even though they say that you're gonna get a shipping quote, I've never gotten one. They just ship it.
+1. They are my goto for hops. Period.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #10
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have dealt with them twice placing 2 orders over the past 2 weeks. The first order I placed on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, September 6th. The order was processed on Tuesday or Wednesday (2 or 3 days later) and I received them on Wednesday, 9-16. I placed my second order on Monday 9-14, received shipment confirmation on Wednesday 9-16, and have no complaints at all.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply