Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "Hop Tea" method for adding aromatics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I was thinking that 4-6 cups of water might not have been enough volume for 3oz of hops.?...since 1oz seemed to have worked better.
+1. Thats *A LOT* of hops in 4-6 cups.

According to Designing Great Beers by Gordon Strong ( page 78 bottom left column - page 78 top right column) the water can become saturated and additional alpha-acids wont be absorbed, so that additional hops will have minimal impact.

Perhaps a better test is to make 3 batches of hop tea, and add them in, but that's a lot of extra water, so you will need to have less in your initial fermentor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

All hail the Grand Master VII.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 115

One would think it will extract better with vodka than water. Here's a very detailed description of a procedure you can try but it's more work.
http://www.stempski.com/hop_vodka.php

Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #44
bthedlin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatrockbrewing View Post
We make hop teas using fermented beer and they add aroma, flavor and some bitterness. Depending on the level of bitterness we want in the tea we warm up the beer a bit around 110-120. A half hour steep time does the trick.
How much hops do you add per volume of beer and how much water do you steep them in?

I recently brewed with a hop spider for the first time and had very disappointing results. I think the mesh bag I used on the spider was too fine and the oils didn't make it through. Tastes like an old IPA. I am thinking of adding a hop press to try to save the batch.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #45
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

The problem comes in where the op already has the beer in primary. I was attempting to give him a way to add some hop flavor without adding too much extra volume.
I mentioned straight away that I did hop teas in the BK with the boiling water I was going to use to mix up the kit-n-kilo with. Since he's already past that point,another way was needed.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #46
Komp09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hey all, not to dig up an old post but does anyone have anymore feed back on these methods of making a hop tea? Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone's worked out a successful volume to hop ratio and temperature when using the french press method.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #47
bthedlin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komp09 View Post
Hey all, not to dig up an old post but does anyone have anymore feed back on these methods of making a hop tea? Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone's worked out a successful volume to hop ratio and temperature when using the french press method.
From my experience, the volume doesn't play that big of a role. With more water, you might get a slightly higher extraction rate but you will just be diluting the beer that much more. Think of it as a coffee press, less water the stronger it is.

I have had decent results using the press and making a hop tea. It's not something I would add to my bag of hopping techniques but I did save a beer. I brewed a beer that was under hopped and had plans for the drain. I did a hop press and it added some unique hop flavors. But I would save the precious hops and add them to flameout or whirlpool. Just my own opinion.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #48
Haussenbrau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a firm believer that a great IPA is hopped at every opportunity possible. That means stating with a first wort hop addition and finishing with a hop tea priming and everything in between that includes dry hopping. Remember a great IPA has a a great hop depth that can satisfy all of your sences.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #49
mdennytoo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Are you supposed to use whole leaf or pellet? I tried this once with pellet and got the aroma I was looking for, but in making it the screen plugged up and fluid started squirting up the sides. It was really hard to press and I went ahead and let hop debris get into my bottling bucket. Mostly, there weren't but a few specks in each bottle. Do you just press really slow?

Everything I know about loving a woman, I learned from Melissa Etheridge.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #50
mdennytoo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

slowly?

Everything I know about loving a woman, I learned from Melissa Etheridge.

Quick Reply