Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hop Skunk Experiment...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
boo boo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
I have had the same experience. I pour a beer and go out to work around the yard, the sun is out and wham, skunky beer. I have found a solution that is 100% effective. Chug your beer.

Now your talking

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2006, 01:31 AM   #12
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
Skunky or cat-musk aromas in beer are caused by photochemical reactions of the isomerized hop compounds. The wavelengths of light that cause the skunky smell are the blue wavelengths and the ultraviolet. Brown glass bottles effectively screen out these wavelengths, but green bottles do not. Skunkiness will result in beers if the beer is left in direct sunlight or stored under fluorescent lights as in supermarkets.
The key word is isomerized. This is the process the alpha acids go through during the boil. Fresh hops don't skunk, but they do oxidize. Leaving a glass of ale out in direct sunlight can skunk it in 15 minutes. One of the reasons it is so fast, is the skunk scent is detectable in the parts per billion range.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply