Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hop plants getting eaten by bugs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
kenb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hop plants getting eaten by bugs?

Ok, so I planted hops for the first time, about 1 month ago. A couple weeks ago they sprouted. They are Mt. Hood and Nuggett hop plants. Well about 1 week ago, i start noticing tiny holes in some of leaves, and pieces also missing on the leaf edges. It appears they are being eaten by something, but all i ever see on the leaves are an ant every now and then...my wife thinks maybe it is slugs at night?

So i sprinkle a bunch of hazlenut shells around them, as i THINK slugs don’t like to crawl over them. Well, this morning there are even more holes.

What do i do? At this young age, do i spray them with some insecticide? If so, what? I hate the idea of having to do that...Or is there anything else i can do? This is the first thing i have ever planted, and don’t want to do die on me. ANy advice is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like flea beetles to me. They jump away when you come close and to boot they are tiny (about the head of a pin). Approach really slowly and look very carefully and if you see tiny little black things jump away it is flea beetles. The best control is while they are young to put some floating cover (like Agribon) over them.

If it is slugs, then you can tell because there will be rough jagged edges where they eat. The tiny holes sounds like flea beetles though. To tell if you have slugs, take the remains of a melon halve and place it cut side down next to the hops. In the morning turn it over and see. If it is slugs, then you could try just taking some copper foil and making a circle around (but not touching) your hop shoots.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 05-07-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Sounds like flea beetles to me. They jump away when you come close and to boot they are tiny (about the head of a pin). Approach really slowly and look very carefully and if you see tiny little black things jump away it is flea beetles. The best control is while they are young to put some floating cover (like Agribon) over them.

If it is slugs, then you can tell because there will be rough jagged edges where they eat. The tiny holes sounds like flea beetles though. To tell if you have slugs, take the remains of a melon halve and place it cut side down next to the hops. In the morning turn it over and see. If it is slugs, then you could try just taking some copper foil and making a circle around (but not touching) your hop shoots.
I have both holes AND the rough jagged edges.....could i have both types of pests then?

Old 05-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb
I have both holes AND the rough jagged edges.....could i have both types of pests then?
It is quite possible I imagine. Check for both. -

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hit the plants with a couple sprays of a substance called Eight. they uses to make Seven and it was good but eight is better. no pests will bother them.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Check under the leaves for Aphids they will do some damage..Need Lady bugs.....

Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And we don't need to damn Japanese beetles. I would like to meet the guy who introduced them here. I think I'd shoot him on sight.

But yeah ladybugs are great for gardens.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:02 AM   #8
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend JC
Hit the plants with a couple sprays of a substance called Eight. they uses to make Seven and it was good but eight is better. no pests will bother them.
I think you might be right. So far i have not seen any bugs on them (except ants) but today i saw what looked like a flea beetle walking away from my Mt. Hood hop. And my Nuggett hop, which this morning looked great except for small holes, has larger holes, and is now wilted and falling over

I went and bought some Sevin (they did not have eight) and sprayed all my hops but i think maybe it is too late for my Nuggett one?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Hop plants are fairly tough, so good chance they'll recover.

Yesterday was the first hot sunny day this year, so I best spray mine today.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, this morning there was what looked like a slug trail going across my sidewalk, over the hazlenut shells, and even a little slime on one of the hop leafs. So it looks like I have flea beetles AND slugs. I am going to set out some beer traps tonight, and hopefully the slugs will prefer that to the hops. Should i set the beer traps about a foot from the hops or ?

Quick Reply