The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hop Pellet Shelf Life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
durand532
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hop Pellet Shelf Life

How long do you think you can keep hop pellets in the freezer after they've been unsealed? I've keep leftovers from a handful of different batches (1/2 oz or so) in ziplocs in my freezer, but don't want to risk using stale pellets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I would repackage them in a vacuum sealed bag like a seal a meal type setup and it should be decent

Here is a calculator for hop degredation that may help

http://www.brewerslair.com/index.php...id=cal16&u=eng

I have always just figured at 6 months is max storage for accurate numbers but I have some hops that are just over a year in my inventory that I have vac sealed and I also calculate based on average loss.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It depends on what you intend to use these hops for. If purely for IBUs, calculators do a good job of showing you degradation over time (assuming cold stored, free from light, and air tight). If you want aroma/flavor character from the hops (0 minute/dry hop additions), I would smell the hops at the time you are intending to use them. If they don't smell fresh and have the character you're looking for, I'd toss them. I know, it feels like a waste to do that, but your beer (and those drinking it) will thank you for using fresh hops.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I usually seal any leftovers I have, and at the end of the year, I'll brew my Regular House PA with whats left. So in theory there are some that are just about a year. Has made for some interesting flavors. This years is called "2012Brewers Reserve Pale Ale" nice way of say everthing but the kitchen sink. Anyway I have found that hops definitely degrades in both Bitterness, and taste over time (Not a scientific just apparent). I think what will help preserve hops is vac. sealing, keeping them in the freezer, and away from the fish (yes i have done it). Really anything more than 6-10 months is pushing it....IMHO...as always your results may vary.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Custom Hand Crafted Fine Brewing Implements, Mash Paddles & Wood Working For Brewers by a Brewer. Serving both Pro Brewers and Home Brewing Customers"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores World Wide.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1827 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Well,without looking,my NZ hops have been in a zip lock freezer bag since July I think. I use packing tape to seal unused pertions of hops in their packet. Fold over the open end tightly,then packing tape & back into the freezer bag. I also have this little shelf above the ice maker where my 1G bags of hop packets go,a pound of them. They keep rather nicely for several months this way. but the open ones get used next brew,which is to say the next month.

Quick Reply