Hop mistake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skillzman1

Reaction score
So I have an extract brew that I make that is very popular amongst family and friends. I have made varying adaptations of it for awhile,but not with the same overall results.
Recipe is a Blackened Vanilla Stout using Cluster for bittering and Kent Goldings for aroma.
I decided to brew 2-5 gallon batches to get it stocked up for later this spring.
Batch 1 I mistakenly added the aroma hops at the start of the 60 minute boild and the bittering at the 20 minute left mark. Realizing the mistake I let it boil an additional 20 minutes to let the bittering hops work. Not sure if that was a mistake or not.
So my questions are.
1) how much of a difference will this make overall?
2) should I rack them together into secondary(s) to let them meld together..or just leave them alone and live with whatever batch 1 comes out like?

I would leave them alone. What you are going to end up with is a beer more bitter than expected, but probably perfectly drinkable, perhaps even very good. If you normally add vanilla, I'd skip it on batch 1, it will have the character of a more bitter Irish Stout.

Adding hops at 20 minutes isn't for aroma either, it is for flavor. Aroma additions come in at 5 mins or flameout or dry-hop. You should have just left it alone and you may not have been able to tell the hops were reversed, it would have been slightly less bitter than normal is all.

I suggest you get some brewing software like Beersmith, it makes figuring this stuff out easy, especially the impact on the IBUs of different hops and boil times. For your beer you had an 80 minute boil of the EKG and a 40 minute boil of the Cluster.

thanks for the info.
I was thinking that leaving them seperate would at least give 5 gallons of what I know for sure is what I wanted..the other will be one of my experimental brews...probably not a big deal..might even be better as you mentioned!
thanks again!

Back