Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > hop character

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Marc Hawley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default hop character

Hop flavor and aroma may be the hardest things for a homebrewer to create. What works for you? Late boil hopping? Dry hopping? Mash hopping? What do commercial brewers have that I don't have? A 40 foot steam stack on the boiler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

It completely depends on the style you're brewing. I like first wort hopping for the first hops addition to an all grain brew (a suggestion from a more experienced brewer).

In general, early hops additions will add bitterness, and late hops additions add flavor and aroma. I usually use at least two hops additions, if not three or more. Generally, the first is at the beginning of the boil, the second at 15-20 minutes remaining, and the third at flameout. The amounts vary by the type of hops I'm using and the effect I'm trying to get.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I find this character elusive, as well, at least in the way I want it. I experimented with MH and FWH in my last batch, but it's in the primary.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Most commercial brews use a simple bittering, flavor, aroma scheme. Dry hopping is rare enough that it gets advertised. Ditto, continuous adds. For the home brewer, nothing beats dry hopping for aroma and multiple hops for flavor.

On my hoppy ales, I will often dry hop several times. My Bent Rod Rye was dry hopped with 1/2 oz. Cascades for a week then 1/2 oz EKG and 1/2 oz. Fuggles for a week.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42

On my hoppy ales, I will often dry hop several times. My Bent Rod Rye was dry hopped with 1/2 oz. Cascades for a week then 1/2 oz EKG and 1/2 oz. Fuggles for a week.
Did you rack the beer off of each dry hop addition prior to adding the next. Or . . . did you add them in subsequent additions. In other words . . . were your Cascades on for two weeks total?

Quick Reply