Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hop Allergy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
Fantastical
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One thing to also consider... You may be having a reaction to a pesticide used to grow the hops. Try getting some from another source and seeing if you have the same reaction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaggy View Post
Keep an Epi pen on you.
5 years experience as a metro-area EMT, can't emphasize that enough.

x2 for immunologist & an appointment with your primary care physician. If you don't want to go that route (and this sounds insane...bear with me), try rubbing a hop pellet on your skin & see if there's any sort of reaction. Reason being that I'd rather see if you have an initial contact reaction rather than risk another ingestion. People with severe allergies to organic substances often react to simple exposure such as on the skin as well as via ingestion. I wouldn't suggest another taste test until you get professional medical advice.
Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You shouldn't be seeking advice like this from a bunch of amateurs. If you think you have any allergy that could lead to anaphylactic shock, GO SEE A DOCTOR.

If you think it's hop related take some hops and even a beer that you suspect triggers it to an allergest and let them do some tests to make sure. In a controlled, safe, medical environment.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
MrKlepacki
Recipes 

I'll be seeing an allergist in 2 days. The pesticide comment is an interesting one... I'll have to ask that while I'm there.

Thank you for all the responses! I know it seems odd to not just go to the Dr. first, but I did want as much info from you all before heading in, since I'm sure they woulda said "yep, allergic to hops" if I went with no other info. I'll post what happens, thanks for the help!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yup, go see a doctor. If you have someone who offers under the tongue allergy drops (known as SLIT) then I can recommend that. I used to get shots for 12 years without much effect but the SLIT has completely changed my life (in a good way.) For the first time in decades I can drive around with the car windows down :-)

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
bigcountry67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I also developed a beer alergy about 8 years ago. Many full flavored beers break me out in hives, but only if I drink many. Beer and all the new allergy medicines (Allegra/Claritin) do this to me....weird. Light beers don't bother me at all. Good luck and I'm curious to see what you find out.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

would like to see the outcome also

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
MrKlepacki
Recipes 

Update!!

It's not yeast, fuggle, saaz, liberty or falcon... I just ordered about $60 worth of hops (everything I could find) to bring in next week. We think it might be Goldings and Glacier.

Also, I got an EPI

I'll update once we know for sure - all I know is I have 15 gallons of beer I can't drink I'll be popular at least?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
MrKlepacki
Recipes 

OK, Still looking for some help here. I saw an allergist several times, and all we found is that I'm allergic to grass and some trees, but not hops or yeast. Yes I have an EPI pen (2 actually) and I still have no problems with any commercial beer. This reaction seems near impossible to test, since hops release resins and oils at different temps and stages of brewing. I had been brewing with only hops and yeasts that have not given me a reaction, but my 2 latest batches seem to bother me when sipping the OG test

My newest idea is filtration. I know there are many threads on this, but none have talked about filtering carbonated beer out of a keg as a last step prior to drinking. Is this possible? I am against the idea of filtering, I know what it does to flavor complexity, but I'm going insane having to constantly give away kegs of beer!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You keg? This is left field, but could it not be an allergy to the beer, but instead something in the kegging process, the beverage lines or something? Also have you guys ruled out sanitizers?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply