Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Honey Ale Super Sweet and Alcohol Tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Paradingbull
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Honey Ale Super Sweet and Alcohol Tasting

I recently brewed a partial mash honey ale recipe from the local brew shop. OG was a little high but fermented down right to target FG. Let it set 16 days in primary before bottling. Fermentation temps were kept at 64-65F.

After two weeks opened one bottle, carbonation was still a little low, had a good taste, slight sweet aftertaste with also a bit of alcohol taste.

Just opened a second bottle after 3 weeks, carbonation still not there but the sweetness and alcohol taste were very much more prominent than the first bottle.

I consider myself still a newbie, but I know I am strict (wife says anal) about following brewing and sanitation procedures.

I am posting to get some assurance that the beer will be fine, it just needs some more time in the bottle. OG was 1.069 and FG was 1.018. It worries me that the beer seems to be going backward with time. Any words of encouragement welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
vesestilldrumming
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What time in the boil did u put in the honey? What kin of yeast was used?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

It needs age... also the kit probably gave you too much honey, as it's an easy OG booster. Honey is a simple sugar, ferments out nearly completely, leaving little flavor, and can leave your beer's body thin and alcoholy. It might age out to some extent

I'm thinking the sweetness is either you bottled too early or it's the carbonation sugar. No clue

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Quick Reply