Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewtalk.com brewers grow up fast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Homebrewtalk.com brewers grow up fast

Hear me out:

I haven't been brewing all that long in the scope of things. Just a year and a half. 170 gallons under my belt. And yet, when I get together with other brewers who have been brewing much longer but don't use a resource like HBT, our beers just don't compare. Don't get me wrong, experience is a very valuable teacher, and there is no replacement for it, but unless you are utilizing a dynamic and interactive media like this site, experience alone will only progress brewing skill so quickly.

For the longest time my only contact with other brewers was through this website, and I assumed that every other homebrewer learned something new about brewing every day, listened to podcasts on new techniques, discussed the best method for culturing a yeast bank and the importance of oxygenation, etc. As it turns out, I think we are in the minority.

I know there is no shortage of "this site is awesome" threads. My point is just how good we can get at brewing in a short time when we have sites like HBT available to us, as opposed to just reading How to Brew and then brewing for a few years. As an added bonus, all of the brewing info is available for free, but once you know you're going to be keeping this "hobby" for a while, you can't help but feel good knowing that you help support the website. I highly recommend it.

p.s. Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
grahamfw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I think you'll find any time you branch out and actively seek different ways of doing things, you'll constantly challenge the way your currently operating (if you are humble enough!). Generally, I find the homebrew community to be welcoming and humble and willing to try new things and new perspectives, regardless of how off-the-wall. This is not a hobby for stubborn people, by and large, and not exploring the wealth of information that exists for a certain topic will narrow your breadth of brewing, IMHO.

MindfulBrewing.com - Mindful Brewing Tips

Primary: Citra/Nelson Blonde
Secondary: Belgian Tripel (zin oak cubes), Raspberry Mead
Aging: Imperial Berliner
Kegged: Belgian Tripel, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Clone

Old 04-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 76

+1 I'm hopeless at researching stuff. I have learned much more by the drip method simply by visiting this site every day than I would have ever learned from book reading or word of mouth.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

It's huge being able to diagnose an off flavor in 30 seconds. Where some brewers out there have to break out the books to find what may or may not be a decent answer, we can just search. Brewing without HBT is like what writing reports were like when we were in school. No internet to instantly answer questions, no forums with the combined wisdom and experience of thousands, just books that may or may not contain relevant information, and are surely outdated.

Any time someone thinks up a new technique or hears of one from another brewer, it can be validated almost instantly here. Someone can probably explain the science behind it, and at least a few people will be willing to experiment and tinker with the technique to make it better or work out the bugs. Someone else will probably troll that thread and state reasons why it won't work, and another person will come in and debunk that. Not to mention the power of having dozens of seasoned brewers look at your potential recipes and tweak them, offer suggestions, or just tell you that it's going to taste like crap.

P.P.S. Help control the human population. Get yourself a vasectomy or hysterectomy.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Hear me out:

I haven't been brewing all that long in the scope of things. Just a year and a half. 170 gallons under my belt. And yet, when I get together with other brewers who have been brewing much longer but don't use a resource like HBT, our beers just don't compare. Don't get me wrong, experience is a very valuable teacher, and there is no replacement for it, but unless you are utilizing a dynamic and interactive media like this site, experience alone will only progress brewing skill so quickly.

For the longest time my only contact with other brewers was through this website, and I assumed that every other homebrewer learned something new about brewing every day, listened to podcasts on new techniques, discussed the best method for culturing a yeast bank and the importance of oxygenation, etc. As it turns out, I think we are in the minority.

I know there is no shortage of "this site is awesome" threads. My point is just how good we can get at brewing in a short time when we have sites like HBT available to us, as opposed to just reading How to Brew and then brewing for a few years. As an added bonus, all of the brewing info is available for free, but once you know you're going to be keeping this "hobby" for a while, you can't help but feel good knowing that you help support the website. I highly recommend it.

p.s. Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.

Hey! I didn't know Bob Barker was a homebrewer!!!

OK, now that I'm done teasing you, I have to agree. I went to a local homebrew club meeting just to check it out, and found that guys that were pretty high in the pecking order of the club really didn't know much about a lot of things that guys learn here as matter of progression. Only one or two in the club had ever lagered, none knew how to make their own candi sugar, and only a few were brewing AG. and they had been brewing for several years. The point is, folks that hook up with the gang here seem to learn more, and faster. And they expand their horizons faster, too.

Oh, and my dog is spayed........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+10000

I've really only ever spoken with about 10 other homebrewers. Total. Ever. Granted I've only been brewing for about a year.

My understanding of...well...every part of the process that I pay attention to has grown exponentially thanks to this site. I laugh when people say that they tried homebrew once and it was atrocious, they obviously didn't try any from people that had correctly observed or bothered learning the process.

I love to sit here and learn, and occasionally participate.

You guys are awesome!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuygie88 View Post

You guys are awesome!
There is no "You guys" That is the point. There is only "We guys"......And we are, indeed, pretty darn awesome as a collective. A total noob can come in here at any moment and have a ground breaking new idea, and he won't get ridiculed for it if it is good. It will be a heads up for the collective.........Oh yeah, and then he will be assimilated. Resistance is futile, etc. etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Can I get in on this love fest?
GO!-TEAM!!!
Group hug.
HEY! Who grabbed my ass?
Seriously though.I haven't brewed w/ any other brewers but you -er ,I mean US guys and am probably better off for it.Whenever I talk to my LHBS owner and he says something WACK, I think-Damn,he needs to get on HBT PDQ.

PS-I am neutered and SWMBO is spayed.Didn't want anymore little versions of me going around setting fire to stuff!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
There is no "You guys" That is the point. There is only "We guys"......And we are, indeed, pretty darn awesome as a collective.
Well, for me, there is "you guys", the ones Bob calls my "imaginary friends".

I often say this- I would have NEVER stuck with the hobby without you guys. My first couple of batches were "meh" but when I had a question and came here, my batches starting improving. Pretty soon, I was AG and within a couple of years, kegging! It all seemed so intimidating, because of the equipment and I'm kind of "girlish" and intimidated by all of the gear that seemed to be involved. But everyone helped me step by step.

I blame you all. Every last one of you.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
caver95
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would have to aggree with this... I was talking with another guy that has been homebrewing for sometime and the stuff I have learned and what I am doing has well surpassed this guy, he threw out a batch that got moldy I would never well not for many years. Its a great resource thank you whoever started it.

Quick Reply