Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewing Tendencies and Trends

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Homebrewing Tendencies and Trends

I started homebrewing in September of this year and this is what I have brewed to date:

Cologne Kolsh - OG 1.043 FG 1.011
Belgium Amber - OG 1.045 FG 1.012
Holiday Apple Spice - OG 1.078 FG 1.012 I know..KILLER ABV
Oatmeal Stout - OG 1.064 FG 1.016
Honey IPA OG = 1.062 FG = 1.011
American Amber OG = 1.040 FG = 1.009
Peach Wheat IPA OG = 1.065 FG = 1.011
Belgian Style Pale Ale OG = 1.065 FG = 1.023
Honey Nut ESB OG = 1.0625 FG = 1.019

My brief brewing history has led me to see a trend. I tend to brew hoppier, stronger, higher gravity brews. My theory is that I am brewing beers that I like and that I cannot afford to by on a budget.

Has anybody else noticed a trend towards more eccentric, micro styles of beer for the homebrewer?

My neighbors always ask me if I can make bud light...why would I want too?!

Last edited by permo; 12-05-2009 at 03:42 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
Chudz
Recipes 

I've only been brewing since September as well, and I agree. I've brewed styles so far that I know I like, and one that I've never had before but thought it looked good. I've never had a bitter before, so my next brew will be one of those, at least I'm leaning that way, trying to fill in some gaps in what I've tasted.

Chudz,

How much sudz could a Sudz Chudz chugz, if a Sudz Chudz could chugz sudz?

Beer: It's a glassful of Happiness!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudz View Post
I've only been brewing since September as well, and I agree. I've brewed styles so far that I know I like, and one that I've never had before but thought it looked good. I've never had a bitter before, so my next brew will be one of those, at least I'm leaning that way, trying to fill in some gaps in what I've tasted.
bitter is fantastic...if I can offer some advice for a five gallon batch to be bottled....I would go with 1/2 to 2/3 cup of dextrose for carbonation...smoothness, maltiness and balance is a key for bitter. It is simply delicious when done correctly. I even like a little dry hop

Old 12-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I suppose there is no single rule to answer that question as tastes come into play, but I bet most home brewers lean in that direction. The average beer I brew has an OG between 1.055 and 1.070. As you get into more exotic beers with heavier gravities the savings of making them yourself becomes more significant. When you get up into the fancy Belgians and Heavy IPA's, stouts, etc you are dropping $10-12 for a bomber when you can brew up 2 cases if you are getting ingredients in bulk for maybe $50-60. It becomes a no brainer.

As to Bud light, well as it's often said, very few home brewers could pull it off. The level of filtering and clarity is significant, and there is not anywhere to hide even the slightest flaw. Pretty much not doable without mechanical filtering and pastuerization.

Looks like you have brewed some tasty stuff, but the king killer would have to be that Honey Nut ESB with the 1.623 OG I'd like a bottle, and a soft mat to land on when I hit the floor.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 12-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i see a trend. take some sweet delicoius wort, add yeast. they fart co2 and piss ethanol!

hit the brakes.

Quote:
Honey Nut ESB OG = 1.623 FG = 1.019
what the hell? thats 79% abv. typo?

Old 12-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think when you settle in to homebrewing, and drink almost exclusively homebrew your gravities will come down a bit. I do like a nice strong beer from time to time, but I tend to prefer a beer I can drink 2-3 of and not be drunk. Since I only drink homebrew at home I usually brew moderate beers. Maybe your drinking habits are different. If you do end up drinking only homebrew I think you will want more session beers down the road. Have fun with crazy brews and interesting ingredients. If you try something unusual that tastes too strong in any direction set it aside and come back in a couple months, it does help.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
i see a trend. take some sweet delicoius wort, add yeast. they fart co2 and piss ethanol!

hit the brakes.

what the hell? thats 79% abv. typo?
I fixed it! 1.0625 was the actual reading....man..give a guy a break!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i wanted to know the secret of 79% without distillation or anything illegal is all.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
permo
Recipes 

I am trying to create a few more "sessionable" beers lately, that ESB was only supposed to hit 1.056..but I was too efficient! Tomorow I have a 1.047 nut brown planned for 75% efficiency..I have a feeling it will come in at 1.050 or so...but I think I will mash at 154....so I get some sweetness to compliment the nutty deliciousness....some maple syrup would be nice but my liver needs a break.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

9 beers since sept.?! Geez thats alot of brewing!

Quick Reply